Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Duty free baby products in Tokyo 2009/6/15 16:46
Hi,

I am having difficulties to find duty free baby products like stroller, etc in tokyo.

I went to Akachan Honpo and Babies R Us and they dont have duty free support. I guess if I buy things online through rakuten for example, I cant claim for duty free right? Also, how much is the duty charged anyway for items like baby products?

Anyway, main thing is that could somebody recommend me where to shop duty free baby products in Tokyo?

Thanks a lot.
Firdaus
by Firdaus Mah (guest)  

... 2009/6/15 17:27
Duty free, so you mean you are here in a short-term visit, and will take it out of the country soon? If so, you could ask at major department stores - meaning, Mitsukoshi, Seibu, etc. They tend to have duty free service counter for foreign visitors.
Discount stores and everyday goods stores (where they don't expect so many foreign temporary visitors) might not accommodate duty free service .
But for non-luxury goods like those, maybe all you get back (if any) is just the 5% consumption tax?
by AK rate this post as useful

duty free 2009/6/15 17:32
Only certain licensed shops offer duty free shopping. I can't personally recommend any, but Bic Camera does sell at least one stroller and is licensed to sell duty free. However, I found the equivalent stroller on www.amazon.jp for 30% cheaper.

Consumption tax on strollers is 5%, the same for everything else in Japan, so buying online will probably save you more money than buying duty-free.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

possibly no duty added 2009/6/15 22:22
Many people mistakenly think that all goods have duty added to them. Duty is only added when the government wishes to protect domestic markets, (e.g. electronics), or to things like alcohol and tobacco.

You may not be finding duty free baby goods because there is in fact no duty added to the price of items like strollers and all that can be removed is the 5% consumption tax. I may be wrong, but if you are repeatedly told "no duty free" on items like strollers, it may be because there is no duty added in the first place.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

duty 2009/6/17 12:11
Duty-free is kind of a misnomer as it means sales tax/consumption tax free rather than duty free. Upon returning to your home country you will still be required to pay import duties on whatever you purchased abroad. So all you save is the 5% Japanese consumption tax.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread