Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does kanji..? 2009/6/18 12:21
I dont get it,Does kanji also help you understand what japanese are saying when they speak? Or do you learn that in japanese study classes?
by Tylon  

... 2009/6/18 18:21
I don't quite get your question :) Kanji is ONE of the writing systems used daily, in combination with other phonetic letters we use, so you will see them everyday.

If you learn Japanese only through listening/speaking, and possibly writing only in romaji (romanized Japanese), you will be able to get to a certain level, of course.

But beyond a certain point, it would help to know kanji as well, because each kanji has meaning and so kanji are like building blocks of vocabulary.

Could you explain exactly what you mean?
by AK rate this post as useful

kanji 2009/6/18 19:08
As kanji is a writing system it will not help you understand spoken language.

It is similar to the alphabet, and how knowing the ABCs does nothing to help you have a conversation in English.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

oh 2009/6/18 22:20
I see,I was a bit confused at first,cause i didnt understand how people learned how to speak japanese.
by Tylon rate this post as useful

classroom study 2009/6/19 08:29
They go to classes (or study by themselves), and learn the vocabulary, grammar, and structure of the language through working with textbooks and doing speaking practice exercises. Most people learn the written language at the same time as they go hand in hand.

This approach works not only for Japanese, but for any of the world's languages- have you taken any other language classes before? It's the same for Japanese.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread