Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get a ETC exclusive card 2009/6/19 09:27
I've ordered an ETC device for my car (still waiting after 2 months) and I want to get the ETC card all sorted out before so it's all ready to go.

The thing is, no one will give me a credit card (so that I can use the ETC service). I'm an ALT that has been here for a year and a half and I have no debt. But even if I sign forms to say that I will not ask for a loan they reject me. (No reason, just a sorry note)

Then I discovered this website:
http://www.go-etc.jp/english/cards/index.html

It explains that you can get an ''ETC exclusive card'' that is not a credit card and so can only be used on the highways. That's what I want but they don't say where and how you can get one.

Has anyone got one of these ''ETC exclusive cards''? And if so, please tell me the procedure to get one.

Cheers!
by Adam (guest)  

... 2009/6/19 09:45
This "ETC exclusive card," as I read the explanation from the Japanese side, is simply a *separate* card, like a companion card, issued by credit card companies to their cardholders, as against. one plastic card that functions both as credit card and ETC card.

So it assumes that you have a credit card.
by AK rate this post as useful

etc device 2009/6/19 09:51
I've ordered an ETC device for my car (still waiting after 2 months) and I want to get the ETC card all sorted out before so it's all ready to go.

Why have you been waiting so long for the device? When I had mine put it I just went to the local car shop (autobacs, yellowhat, pit 100, etc.). It took less than 2 hours to purchase and have it installed.

Anyway, what they mean by etc exclusive card is that it is a card that only works in your etc device as opposed to an etc card that doubles as a credit card and can be used for regular purchases.

But they are both issued by credit agencies as they are both forms of credit cards.

What credit companies have you applied for cards with? Some are much more liberal than other so you may just want to try different ones until you get accepted. I hear Aeon and Saison are not too hard to get, however JCB is much more selective.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Cheers for the posts guys 2009/6/19 10:30
Thanks

I had a glimpse of the Japanese webpage but the google translator wasn't so clear. I'll just keep trying to get a credit card then.

The two recent companies that i've tried are Nicos and NTT. I can't remember the other banks. I thought since I had a mobile phone and internet with NTT and been on time with my payments that they would grant me a card.

A few folk have mentioned AEON along with LAWSON, so i'll give them a go tonight.

The reason for the delay with the ETC device is due to the recent government campaign. Also, I should say that I'm in the north of Miyagi (so supply might be lower). They were offering grants so that you could buy the device for 10,000yen cheaper. So Yellow Hat and AutoBacs were sold out until May/June within the first week and had canceled taking new orders. They said that about five devices would come in now and then to the shop but they could not be reserved.

Even though the campaign finished over a month ago, most garages are still trying to get through the orders. What they didn't tell me is that, if you reserved the device during the campaign, you're still entitled to the grant. So I also missed out on that.

That'll teach me for not studying up on my Japanese.

But what the heck, the cheaper tolls and points system will pay it back in th long run.

I'll let you know if I have any luck with the credit cards.
by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/19 10:35
Adam,
I've read in the papers about the government campaign and the resulting shortage of ETC equipment :( Sorry to hear of the situation... Try the two retail credit card companies, that might be easier.
by AK rate this post as useful

delay 2009/6/19 10:46
what an unfortunate delay, I didn't realize they were backed up so much from the etc campaign. Well at least it gives you time to apply for credit cards. Let us know how you fare.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Got my ETC device 2009/7/8 16:52
Hey

Just a quick update.
I got my ETC device installed in my car at the weekend there. Just a two hour wait and they even washed my car! (that's service). It was a long wait on the waiting list but it only cost me 16,800yen. That's with no government paid discount and including the installation fee.

So, this is for folk that are reading and thinking of getting the device. I would stay clear of Yellow Hat and AutoBacs. They quoted me around 25,000yen for the cheapest device and installation. I used a local car dealer, Mitsubishi. So, for anyone else interested, try your local dealers as well.

As far as the credit cards are going. I was rejected by the petrol company, IDEMITSU. (I was told that anyone can get their cards). Again, no reason why. I also applied to AEON and LAWSON but it's been three weeks with no answer so I'm going to try a few more companies and see how that goes.

I'll let you know.

Adam
by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

updates? 2009/10/5 21:00
I'm interested if you actually got a card and through who? I'm trying to get one now for my ETC...as well.
by drivegirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Go straight to ETC 2009/10/5 23:27
I tried numerous places to get an ETC card and was turned down because I did not have an alien card. I finally went straight through ETC. You'll need to have a Japanese bank account set up and a minimum of 40,000Y deposit. Follow these steps and you should have an ETC card in two weeks!

- Pick up a Prepaid ETC Application from any toll booth.

- Fill it out completely (you will need someone to translate it if you can't read Japanese). Make sure you have your name and address written in Kanji. You will also need to send a copy of your utility bill.

- Mail the application and utility bill to ETC.

- ETC will send you a "bill" for the prepaid deposit. You will need to pay the 40,000Y deposit at a convenience store.

- Once your deposit is made, you should receive your prepaid ETC card in the mail within a week.

- You must have funds available (in addition to the 40,000Y) in your bank account to use the ETC card. The 40,000Y is simply a security deposit in case you default on your bank account. Funds will automatically drafted out of your bank account each time you use the ETC card.

- You will get your 40,000Y deposit back once you turn in your ETC card. Until then, it is simply "frozen" on your account.
by Gaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread