Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will hiragana and katakana help? 2009/6/20 02:13
If you learn hiragana and katakana,will it help you translate japanese words into english?
by Tylon  

. 2009/6/20 10:59
I am not sure what the question means. But if you are wondering whether there is a choice of learning or not learning katakana, the answer is no. There is no choice and you must learn it.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

very helpful 2009/6/20 11:06
It is not possible to read Japanese without a knowledge of hiragana, katakana and kanji, and it's not possible to translate unless you can read the source language, so of course it is necessary to learn those writing systems.

Try reversing your question- is it possible to translate English words into Japanese without being able to read the alphabet? Of course not.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: Will hiragana and katakana help? 2009/6/21 22:36
The followings are written mostly with hiragana.
- Particles, auxiliary verbs to indicate tense (did / do / will do), case (he / his / him)
- Endings of verbs, adjectives, adjectival verbs (e.g. きれいだ [kireida])
I'm a Japanese and I don't remember well the time when I didn't know hiragana. But it's not hard to imagine that we can not translate Japanese without understanding these important elements correctly.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread