Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching English without a Bachelor's? 2009/6/20 02:24
I am currently looking for a position teaching English in either Gifu or Aichi. The companies posting job openings require a work visa as well as a bachelor's degree and I currently have neither. I would very much like to work in Japan and teach English. Especially because explaining the more difficult aspects of the language in Japanese helps my Japanese improve as well as the students understanding. While teaching I wouldn't want to have to over simplify if it isn't neccesary. Anyways, if anyone could assist me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

--Alex
by Alex Krupp (guest)  

... 2009/6/20 09:36
For a work visa as instructor, I believe you will need either a university degree or extensive experience as a language instructor.

Other possible options include work holiday visa and spouse visa:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/20 09:50
Especially because explaining the more difficult aspects of the language in Japanese helps my Japanese improve as well as the students understanding.

My impression so far is that English language schools/English conversation schools tend to prefer teachers to use *only* English in classes - that way they get more exposure to English, and helps them get in the habit of thinking in English. If you can explain difficult aspects in simple English, that would even be better.
by AK rate this post as useful

Whoops 2009/6/20 09:51
that way they...

I meant "that way the students..." Sorry.

must qualify for a visa first 2009/6/20 10:55
Whether use of Japanese is allowed in class or not is just a detail- unless you are eligible for a working holiday visa, with no degree and no teaching experience you will not be granted a working visa by Japan Immigration. Coming on a student visa is about your only realistic option.

by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/20 11:34
I know, Sira :)

I just wanted to point out what kind of teaching may be generally appreciated in Japan - I decided to make that comment just in case the motive for the original poster wanting to come to Japan was improving his Japanese skills *while* teaching English.

using Japanese 2009/6/20 12:07
You are definitely right about the use of Japanese in the classroom, AK san- a common complaint from eikaiwa students is that the teacher used Japanese in the class, many of them don't want to hear any Japanese at all.

My level of spoken Japanese improved very little during the time that I was an English teacher.

what about having a visa already 2010/5/13 11:54
so what about if you already have a visa? i have a spousal visa and am moving to japan this month but finding it difficult to apply for a job from overseas. so far when i have searched, it seems that the only reason people can give me for needing a degree, is that its needed for a visa.

i don`t see how an irrelevent degree to teaching can be deemed necessary to teaching...
by alc (guest) rate this post as useful

other visa 2010/5/13 12:20
so what about if you already have a visa? i have a spousal visa and am moving to japan this month but finding it difficult to apply for a job from overseas.

You will probably have a far easier time securing a job if you already have a spouse visa and are a native english speaker. Be sure to mention that on your application. Then again, the market probably isn't too good right now with the recent collapse of Geos.

so far when i have searched, it seems that the only reason people can give me for needing a degree, is that its needed for a visa.

i don`t see how an irrelevent degree to teaching can be deemed necessary to teaching...

The degree is an immigration requirement and employers will hire those without degrees that already have visas which allow them to work.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

degree 2010/5/13 13:39
Basically they have to narrow down the candidates somehow, and setting a minimum educational requirement is one way of doing it. The schools often want to be able to say to their students that all their teachers are university graduates.

You may find though that you have better luck when you are actually in Japan- you will be more attractive to employers then because you will be able to start work straight away whereas other candidates may need to have their visas sponsored which will take time.

reply to this thread