Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Names of the rural city areas? 2009/6/24 04:13
I would like to go see some of the country side in japan.
by tom12  

too many 2009/6/24 14:11
There are thousands of "rural cities" in Japan- you will need to be a bit more specific! What kind of things would you like to see?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

ok 2009/6/24 15:21
farms, old small school houses, large open areas, lage old japan farms
by tom12 rate this post as useful

Head North 2009/6/25 06:42
There are plenty of farms and rural areas all over Japan, even here and there around the Kanto, but the highest percentages are in northern Honshu and Hokkaido. Almost anywhere you go there are lots of fields. The largest farm in Japan is the Koiwai Farm in Morioka.

As an option, Kochi Prefecture on Shikoku is also totally rural. Agriculture makes up about 30% of the prefecture's economy, the highest in Japan outside Hokkaido.

You might want to check the Hida area in Gifu (Takayama, Ogimachi, Ainokura), where there are many old thatched buildings preserved. The train ride to Takayama from Nagoya is also scenic following a river gorge.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

what farms do you want to see? 2009/6/25 15:55
As far as very large open areas and large farms are concerned, Hokkaido is the best. If you particularly want to see dairy farms, then go to Obihiro or Tokachi while Biei and Furano are nice and popular areas for large flower farms though Biei I think will be better than Furano that is kind too touristy. I don't recommend the Koiwai Farm in Iwate as the dairy farm is also too well-known sight-seeing spot.
For reference: http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=ht...

But when it comes to large old Japanese farms, I think they must be those with paddy fields, well seen like in Ohsaki in Miyagi or in Niigata.

by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread