Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

July 10-17 To Kansai, how heat it is? 2009/6/24 23:30
I am planning a trip to Kyoto, Osaka on July 10 to 17 with 2 kids agded 8&6. I am worrying about the hot weather as well as the swine flu. I haven't paid for the tickets and hotel yet. I am struggling about whether to go or not. My questions are:
1. How is the weather in July 10-17 in Kyoto & Osaka? The weather forecast for next week showed that Osaka will be at max 33. Will it be too hot for sight seeing under the sun for whole day, especially for kids?
2. What is the latest situation of swine flu spread out in Kansai, where is the worst place in Japan in May, as far as I know, how is it now?
3. Where is the better place suitable for kids than Kyoto/Osaka (except for Tokyo)?

thank you very much for any advice to me in advance.
by Connie NG (guest)  

Very hot 2009/6/25 11:45
I have been to Kyoto twice in mid-July (Gion festival), and it was 35-39 deg C both times, and of course very humid. I personally don't like sightseeing or even going outside near midday during summer here, and I advise people not to visit Japan during summer if they can avoid it. It's still doable, but try to do more sightseeing in the morning and late afternoon, and stay in air-conditioned areas around midday. Drink a lot of water and tea.

As for swine flu, they are not really reporting on it much any more here because it is not a serious illness. You are still more likely to get ordinary flu than swine flu here as with any country, and ordinary flu is actually a more serious illness. Swine flu is nothing to be concerned about as long as you don't have a serious respiratory illness already.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/25 17:42
It will be very, very hot. Especially in Kyoto. Just looking at the temperature doesn't really give you that clear an idea of how hot it is. The humidity is incredible! When I was in Kyoto during summer, I spent a lot of time stopping in convenience stores to cool off. Also I was nearly eaten alive by mosquitos.

The swine flu is not an issue. Don't worry about it.
by T (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/6/25 23:04
Thank you very much Sira & T for your advice. In this case, I will change my plan. I will not go to Kyoto. I might consider Sandi or Hokaiddo. Do you think it is better there in terms of heat weather? From the weather report, it is cooler there. I need to search for a new trip plan now. Do you know which city in Japan is cooler in July? My kids love Japan very much, they don't like to go to other places. I cannot turn them down and say that we have no travel plan anymore. Anyway,thank you again Sira & T.
by Connie NG (guest) rate this post as useful

Where is Sandi? 2009/6/26 15:37
Sandi? I haven't come across this place name before and it doesn't look Japanese- is it in Japan?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread