Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo this summer: my budget. 2009/6/25 09:31
Very short question: is 5500 yen a day do-able for my one month stay in Tokyo this summer? This does not include accommodation, that's already been taken care of. :) So this 5500 yen is only for food, transportation (within Tokyo, although I plan to walk as much as I can and stay within one area each day so I don't have to travel between places too much) and, well, things to do and see.
by Kellybelly  

How much is enough? 2009/6/25 10:49
5500 yen a day is doable but very tight. I am very careful with my money and don't eat multi course fancy meals but can easily spend 5000 yen on 3 to 4 basic meals a day. Walking all over Tokyo is also not realistic. Walking around one neighbourhood yes but then you do have to go by rapid transit from one neighbourhood to another as the interesting ones are not always side by side.

Tokyo is a huge city but it is not the most interesting one ever, as far as historical sites are concerned, as it was nearly totally destroyed twice in the 20th century. Unlike London, Paris, Rome etc. 1 month in Tokyo is an awful length of time! You GOT to go to Nikko, Kamakura, Yokohama for a day trip in each of these places at the very least and still you may end up with down time. If you want to save Money stay in Tokyo for 2 weeks only. The most expensive part of a trip is not the plane fare (they are cheaper than they were 20 years ago when income were smaller) but the hotels, the food etc.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/25 11:15
Walking all over Tokyo is also not realistic.

Where did I state that I wanted to walk all over Tokyo? My plan is to only be in one neighborhood a day and walk as much as I can, if it's too far I'll take the train.

Also, I'm mainly going to visit my boyfriend who lives in Tokyo, but will have plenty time to myself as well as he has work and school to go to. He actually HAS planned a few day trips for us both to other cities like Osaka and Nagoya and possibly more, but he's paying for all that. :)
by Kellybelly rate this post as useful

response 2009/6/26 10:06
What a response to someone who was trying to help. Monkeysee's thoughts were absolutely relevant to your initial post, then you snap at him because he doesn't know you are visiting your boyfriend.
by westcoastwanderer (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/26 11:26
I wasn't trying to snap at anyone, I'm sorry if it came off like that.

Anyway, after Monkeysee's advice I've been figuring things out and I am now able to up my budget to 7000 yen per day now, so I hope that will be enough...
by Kellybelly rate this post as useful

You can do it... 2009/7/7 13:36
Hey I reckon you'll do this no problem..sure you've got a limited budget but a free place to stay and a boyfriend for advice...easy. I'm going for a month too, my daily budget similar to yours although I will have to find accommodation...do it.
by paulo11 rate this post as useful

budget okay 2009/7/7 15:44
hey, i travelled all around japan last winter for 2 months on a budget of around 6000 yen per day for transport, spending money and food. i had no problem with this... there are so many places you can buy a whole meal for less than 500 yen. the only reason why i spent all my money was because i spent about half of it buying clothes and souvenirs from japan.
by chompalomp2 rate this post as useful

Tokyo budget 2009/7/7 19:20
5500 per day is completely do-able so long as you know where to eat and how to get around. I live in Tokyo and I'm an incredibly thrify person and I wrote a piece for a travel site about experiencing Tokyo on a budget, it's 6 parts and covers pretty much everything. http://www.japan-i.jp/news/d8jk7l0000043e9f.html

I've got lots more suggestions too, just ask.

Good luck
by sbanana rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/8 00:09
Hi sbanana

Where can I find the remaining 5 parts of the budget travelling? Can't seem to find them in the link.

Thank you.
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread