Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I bring shoes and clothes? 2009/6/25 14:13
Hi, I'm wondering if I would be able to find shoes in my size in Japan. I'm a size 11 and a half, which I don't think is that large here, but it might be unusual in Japan.

Also, I'm 5'9 and weigh 140 lbs, will I be able to find clothes that fit me no problem over there?
by . (guest)  

Shoes... yes. Clothes... depends. 2009/6/25 14:30
A size 11 is pretty big for Japanese shoes (especially women's shoes, if you are a woman). You will be able to find some shoes in these sizes but the selection will be pretty limited and you will need search in larger stores.

If you are a woman, the clothing issue depends entirely on your build -- Japanese people tend to have a very straight, flat build, so items around the bust and thighs can be restrictive and more limited in sizes/variety. At this size I'm sure you will be able to find clothes, but the selection may be frustrating as most things will be in sizes too small or of an awkward fit unless you are completely curveless. Items like bras can be especially troublesome as padding is mandatory (making a B cup look more like an D and a D cup... well... yeah O-o;) Things like this can screw with your wardrobe and self-confidence quite a lot.

Men should have no trouble finding clothes for a frame that size since men's clothing tends to run larger.
by mia (guest) rate this post as useful

oh 2009/6/25 14:39
Oh, sorry I should I have mentioned, I'm a guy. That was a nice detailed answer though :)

So with a size 11 and a half shoe it would be hard to find shoes in japan? I guess I might be going to those speciality shops.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

shoes--clothes 2009/6/25 15:34
I've lived here for a total of 17 years and my advice is to bring shoes, shirts, and jackets. 11 1/2 '' shoe will be hard to find and will be expensive. I'm a couple inches taller than you, I can walk into any store in the US and buy a medium size shirt and it will fit perfectly- med. here is way to small, large-neck and shoulders ok but way to short , XL fits like a short tent. also with the present exchange rate you can buy much cheaper there.
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

no 2009/6/25 16:49
you are not tall enough to need to bring your own stuff, the stores here have sizes that will fit you.

That is, if you're in Tokyo or Osaka anyway. If you're going out into the sticks you may want to bring some extra clothing.

People in Japan are taller than you think. It's mostly the women who are short. There is no lack of 6 foot tall Japanese guys here - you will be constantly dwarfed by giant Japanese guys on the trains.
by Winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

m-size 2009/6/25 18:17
At 5'9" and 140 lb (time to start thinking in metric if you're coming to Japan though!) you are about exactly the same height and build as my Japanese husband. He takes a medium in most Japanese clothing items and has no trouble finding clothes. I am also 5'9" (but I weigh less), but being a woman I do have trouble finding clothes long enough for me, as I am taller than most women here.

For a guy though, you are squarely in the middle of average for Japanese guys under 40, so there should be no size issues (except perhaps the shoes).
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/25 20:51
well, I wear an 11 1/2 - 12 shoe and am 175 cm tall (or short in the US it seems...). Anyway, 11.5-12 are common enough, at least here in Tokyo, but even in the US I had problems finding shoes wide enough, and finding anything here that is wide enough for me can be a bit of a challenge. Shirts fit no problem, but the fit is different, somewhat shorter and tighter around the waist, or at least that's what I have observed. Pants you'll have no problem with. And if you really need to, you can find western brands here though often at a premium. Ordering clothes online is another option, though I haven't personally tried that yet. Saw a pair of men's Levi jeans the other day for over $300, though that is an extreme case.
by bgalfond rate this post as useful

reply to this thread