Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to find clothing for big butt? 2009/6/26 01:32
After some research & asking some japanese friends, I found out that clothing stores tend to carry:
-pants in sizes 23''-29'' waist (58cm-74cm)
-an average 20 y/o Japanese woman is 158cm and 52kg

I am 5'4'' (163cm) and 108lbs (49kg). With my stats, most people would jump to the conclusion that it would be a breeze for me to find clothes in Japan. I think it will only be half true. Being a size 32A (70A)& 26'' (66cm) waist, no doubt tops will be easy to find. The problem is my hips are 38'' (96cm). So, yes, I have a bigger butt than the average westerner of my waist size, let alone Japanese women.

Where should I check out bottoms and traditional clothing that would be at least decent fitting?

Thanks in advance!
by Jenny (guest)  

... 2009/6/28 17:48
I don't know exactly what kind of clothing you are looking for, but 96cm hip size is not that outrageously large. If you walk into a department store and look for the "large size" section on ladies' fashion floor, they carry sizes from (OK in terms of hip size) 96, 100cm, etc. Since you have size 11 waist and size 13/15 hip (that's in Japanese ladies garment sizes) you will have to be selective about the design, but I'm sure you'll find something :) Also you could check out places like GAP or ZARA shops.
by AK rate this post as useful

sad news... 2009/6/29 14:37
Unfortunately, Japan is not kind to the pear-shape. Espeically if you live in a rural area. Some import-brands in American sizes can be found in larger cities through shops like THE GAP, but there are very few items stocked in larger sizes.

Japanese-made clothing is a total loss. Even when it does fit, it will probably fit you in frustrating ways. The best way to cope with this is to get a bit creative. I've taken to wearing a lot of skirts. Not only are they more flattering to my shape in general, but there's actually quite a lot more in the way of skirts to choose from than pants.

You may have some luck shopping in the plus size departments for bottoms... though it's rather embarassing to be a size 8 reduced to picking off of racks of matronly clothing in the corner of the department store.

My best advice is to try EVERYTHING on. Maybe get pants, especially, in larger sizes than you would think you need from the posted measurements, then alter them at home. If you have time, maybe even take up making your own clothes. Buying from catalogs online is also a good alternative to struggling with Japanese sizing.

by mia (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/6/30 00:03
Thanks a lot for the responses AK & Mia.

A Japanese friend also told me a 26'' waist is a size 11.
waist 23'' = sz 5
24'' = sz 7
25'' = sz 9
26'' = sz 11

AK, I am interested in knowing where did you find (or how did you count) 38'' hips is a sz 13/15? (all my Japanese friends seem confused relating hip measurements to size).

I am most interested in buying a kimono or 2. I hope I would be able to find one that fits my unproportional body decently. I am only going there for summer vacation.

Seems like Japanese people are very slim. I am currently on a student exchange program in China. Regular womens pant waist sizes typically run from 24''-30'' in China (I was told it is 23''-29'' in Japan). Even though I have a 26'' waist, I have to size up to size 28'' in order to fit my hips (leaving an ugly 2'' gap at my waist). It's hard for me to accept the fact that wearing a sz 28'' in Japan means I am wearing the 2nd largest regular size.

Ever since I came to China, I have been struggling to live by the Chinese saying "ºÃÅ®²»¹ý°Ù" meaning "a good woman doesn't exceed 100 chinese pounds (50kg)". That saying gave me the willpower to drop from 51kg to 49kg. It seems like I have to drop to 45kg to be considered a "good woman" in Japan!

One thing I notice is Japanese tend to have a longer torso/shorter legs relative to westerners and Chinese of the same height. I am thinking their longer torso avoids fat bulging on the waist hence the slimmer waist.
by Jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

don't change yourself 2009/6/30 07:44
Jenny, don't feel under any pressure to lose weight or change your body when in Japan (on in China for that matter). Once you get here you will see that Japanese women come in all shapes and sizes, not just "skinny". Since you are not Asian, you just genetically have a different body type- there's no use fighting it, or even a reason to fight it.

I am 5'9" and also a pear-shape, so I have even more trouble finding pants that fit me than you would- I actually buy most of mine on trips home, or at Zara, as that's about the only place that has pants (and sleeves) long enough for me.

Also, I obviously don't weigh less than 50 kg, as that would be really unhealthy! Women do not come in "one size fits all" bodies, so an expectation that all women should weigh a certain amount is just silly and outdated- ignore any old sayings that promote unrealistic body images.

Recently H&M has arrived in Japan and although I haven't been there yet, I'm guessing they have more of a range of sizes- possibly also another new arrival, Forever 21. Gap has quite a large range, from US XXS to US XL- I'd be willing to bet you fit in there somewhere.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/30 07:57
Well, I'm size 11 (I won't give you my measurements here lol), and I know just about in what cm increments those sizes change, so you should be OK hip-wise with 13, or if the cut is really slim, 15.

I think sizes 9 and 11 are considered "average" sizes in Japan, but there are plenty of women who go to tall & big sizes (11+, 13, 15) or to petite size 5 or 7. So... no problem, you will find some nice clothing here too :)

P. S. 2009/6/30 08:25
I am most interested in buying a kimono or 2.

For kimono, it's a matter of learning to get dressed in it correctly, not a matter of buying the right size. Among Japanese, women with small waist and full breast and hips would have to wrap some towels around the waist to "even it out," so to say, before putting on the kimono :) That's simply how "traditional" garments are made.

BTW, do you really mean the full, proper kimono? It takes a LOT of pieces of garment to put on a full set (undergarment, several belts/sashes, "socks," so to say, shoes, etc.), and some training to get dressed in it. Of course if you have someone who can dress you up in it properly, that's OK.

For summer, you could consider getting what is called "yukata" - a light cotton version of kimono, which you can put on casually, just over a regular camisole and petticoat, and with a sash belt, and sandal-type shoes on barefoot. If you come in summer, you will find a lot of them in stores. Have fun!

Kimono & Clothing 2009/6/30 13:14
I am open to all styles. As I don't even own one, any style would be a great addition to my clothing collection as well as a good memory.

Have to admit after reading the posts regarding clothing on this forum made me nervous that I finally asked a Japanese friend to let me try her clothes.

My Japanese friend is the same height as I am (163cm) and weighs 55kg. She wears sz L tops & sz 11 bottoms. Her size L tops are too big for me. I am guessing I am a sz 9/M on top? However, I could barely zip her sz 11 bottoms (if I am lucky)! I couldn't get a sz 11 100% cotton no stretch pants above the widest part of my hips. I was able to get a sz 11 denim skirt with some stretch & zip it but it's too torturing hoochie mama tight on my hips. So I guess the sz 13 pants with stretch will do.

At least I am glad as I was told that the length of clothing in Japan fits a 163cm perfectly or close to it.
by Jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

I was wondering the same thing 2009/7/19 02:51
I'll be going to Japan soon too, so I was wondering exactly the same thing. I'm 168 cm and weight 62 kg and my measurements (in cm) are 92-68-94. I feel really big in the butt. Of course I'm planning to lose some weight before going but can I buy clothes at my current situation in any store or I should visit some special stores? Also, will I be able to normally sit on chairs, bus seats etc?
by Kiken (guest) rate this post as useful

clothes 2009/7/19 04:21
I am a man with a moderately muscular build, and definitely have hips a bit bigger than the last poster , yet have no problem fitting in seats anywhere in JAPAN!. I do have problems with finding clothes everywhere. In Europe and the US suit jackets fits me easily but the matching pants are always 4 inches too wide at the waist! in Japan the jackets that fit my chest size have sleeves several inches past my fingertips LOL!
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/19 04:47
OK now. It's a relief to hear I'll be able to sit everywhere.

... 2009/7/19 14:03
Kiken,

With the measurements you've got, you'll be OK with size 11+ (11 but just slightly longer/looser) or 13. Those sizes are available in most department stores, and in other designer shops as mentioned already. I'm not that different from you :)

Not Lilliput... 2009/7/19 14:24
Kiken, while at 94cm you have a hip measurement slightly bigger than the average Japanese woman, (so do I) you will see people much bigger than you here. What do you think all the men would do if someone your size didn't fit in a chair? Of course you will- this isn't a country of midgets! (^-^;)

FYI 2009/7/19 14:46
I just came back from Japan. With measurements of 81-66-96, I was typically sz 13 on the bottom (waist gapes around 5cm though), but no bigger than sz 9 on top. For dresses I am sz 9, 1 pc swimsuits sz 11.

I tried on several bottoms but didn't buy any as they didn't fit me well. You might be fine though as your waist-hip discrepancy is not as large as mine. It was a pity as many of pants were the perfect length for me.

by Jenny- enormous butt (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks for clearing this up for me 2009/7/20 03:12
Good to hear I won't have any problems. It's just that I read in a thread somewhere around here (don't remember exactly which one) where someone was saying they were having problems using a bus because of the small seats, which got me worried.

As for the clothes, you rarely see a Japanese pear-shaped or hourglass woman so I was wondering if they would look good on me or not (baggy in the waist as the above poster mentioned).

Sira, yeah sure I know Japan's not a country of midgets but they have smaller frames (it's rare to see a big boned Japanese) and different body shapes than the westerners.

body types 2009/7/20 08:33
Kiken, the person you mentioned must have been either quite tall (i.e. over 190cm) or overweight, or just meant that they found the seats uncomfortable.

I am very familiar with Japanese body types since I teach yoga in Japan, and I can tell you there are plenty of large people here, although the average is slightly smaller than most western countries. You will not be the biggest person around, by a long shot.

Big butt 2009/7/20 11:38
kiken,

The seats on the bus have more than enough room for my butt.

It seems that most ppl don't even notice I have a big butt. After seeing that I fit sz M/9 tops, my host's daughter was going to give me sz 9 pants. I also often get comments from Japanese ppl that I am skinny (which means they definitely haven't paid attention to my butt!)
by Jenny- enormous butt (guest) rate this post as useful

Something else 2009/7/21 00:20
Yeah, the person was probably extremely overweight since all of you are saying that the seats are perfectly fine.

They didn't notice your big butt? Maybe our butt isn't that big after all, we may just have an obssession with it, thus view it bigger than it normally is. I hope they won't notice mine aswell.

Anyway, there was something else I wanted to ask you girls. From your experience, do japanese guys like slim and curvy girls or they prefer slim and flat girls? What do you think?

by kiken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread