Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is driving easy in Hokkaido? 2009/6/27 01:29
To my understanding, it is right hand drive in Japan (just like in Singapore). However, I read in some post that it is left hand drive? Could anyone please clarify.

In addition, is parking cheap in Hokkaido? What is estimated cost of parking for 1 hour?

Also understand that toll fee is not cheap. Do anyone know how much is it for the toll fee for the below:-

a) From Sapporo to Asahikawa
b) From Asahikawa to Otaru
c) From Otaru to Hakodate

Any website for reference?

Thank you so much for the help.
by klym80  

... 2009/6/28 14:25
To my understanding, it is right hand drive in Japan

Cars drive on the left side of the road in Japan!

In addition, is parking cheap in Hokkaido?

In the city center of big cities, it can cost you several hundred yen per night. In the countryside it is often free. Some sightseeing places charge a few hundred yen for parking.

Also understand that toll fee is not cheap. Do anyone know how much is it for the toll fee for the below:-

a) From Sapporo to Asahikawa

Approx. 3500 yen

From Asahikawa to Otaru

Approx. 4500 yen

From Otaru to Hakodate

6200 yen (no expressway south of Yakumo; last 80 kilometers to Hakodate)

The above prices are for regular cars.

Any website for reference?

Here you go:
http://www.driveplaza.com/dp/SearchTop
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/28 14:40
Confusion may come from the use of the term "right-hand drive (RHD)" and whether the car is driving on the right side of the road.

If you have a *car* that is "right-hand drive," that means the steering wheel (driver's seat) is located on the right side of the vehicle, for the car *driving on the left side* of the road, as in Japan or UK, and also in Singapore :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Is driving easy in Hokkaido? 2009/6/28 14:56
Hi klym80 ,
(qs)" it is right hand drive in Japan (just like in Singapore)."(qe)
Yes, it is RHD. And a lot easier to drive,especially in country areas , less traffic ( compare to singapore) and slower speed limit 50 KM ( not sure in toll roads)
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

driving in Hokkaido 2009/6/28 19:42
besides the highways and roads in and near the cities, most roads in Hokkaido are small, sometimes only a single lane, road maintenance isn't a priority, lack of roadsigns and locals like to break the speedlimits. Hokkaido is also having the most (fatal) traffic accidents in Japan, driving a car in Hokkaido isn't easy and if you are not an experienced driver, also not recommended.
by Bert (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/29 08:53
besides the highways and roads in and near the cities, most roads in Hokkaido are small, sometimes only a single lane

But most tourists will only be using highways, anyways. 95 percent of the roads commonly used by tourists are very wide and very well maintained.

Hokkaido is also having the most (fatal) traffic accidents in Japan

Even if it were true, so what? Driving anywhere in the world comes with the danger of an accident. Relatively speaking, Japan has good and save drivers.

Furthermore, let me straighten out the traffic death statistics (based on last year's numbers):

In absolute numbers, Hokkaido is, indeed, ranked high, but only third after Aichi and Saitama. But if you compare traffic death to population, Hokkaido has actually one of the lower numbers of traffic deaths in Japan, and even the lowest of all if compared with its area.

driving a car in Hokkaido isn't easy and if you are not an experienced driver, also not recommended.

Driving in Hokkaido is easier than anywhere else in Japan!

I agree with only one point: if you are not an experienced driver in your own country, I recommend to think twice about renting a car in a foreign country.

I'm from Singapore... 2009/6/29 14:05
I'm from Singapore and have driven over 20 yrs. For my 3 cents worth, I found driving in Honshu, Kyushu and Hokkaido absolutely safe and easy, easier than say in the UK and Australia WITHOUT GPS. This is because 99 percent of rental cars in Japan come equipped with GPS and your only concern should be make sure you ask the rental shop to show you just the tel function, the others are too complicated for non-Japanese speakers. Before your arrival, just get the tel nos of your hotels and important sites and you'll be ok.
Uji is right, driving in Hokkaido is easier than Honshu but does take longer because of fewer expressways.
Once we've driven in Japan, we never wanted to go back to trains because you could see so much more but you do need to make sure you get the tel nos of your destinations beforehand.
by EL (guest) rate this post as useful

additional question 2009/6/30 04:44
I would like to add a question to this topic.

Is it easy to find gas stations in Hokkaido? Are there many of them, or just a few in bigger towns? And do they work the same as in Europe or is there something special about them?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/30 08:02
There are lots of gas stations. They work the same or similar as in Europe. Many are full-service, but some are also self-service.

thanks 2009/7/5 02:52
thank you Uji! I heard that tips are unusual in Japan, so I shouldn't tip them...in case of full-service? Is that right?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/5 13:00
No, you don't tip at gas stands.

reply to this thread