Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

different rail passes and discounts 2009/6/28 13:34
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which was the better deal in terms of money and time saving efficiency for someone who will be in Tokyo for 5 days, then traveling to Kyoto/Osaka/Shirahama then back to NRT for about 9 days (total 2 weeks).

I was thinking of either getting just a 14 day regular JR pass or a "5 day JR EAST pass + some type of combination of JR WEST pass, the seiyuu 18, kansai thru pass.

I could really use some help with this if anyone has any helpful tips or ideas. Thanks.
by linh (guest)  

... 2009/6/28 15:12
I recommend to use a 14-day Japan Rail Pass. It costs about the same as regular train tickets, but it provides some extra flexibility and comfort.

For city travel in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo, a prepaid card or day pass might be a meaningful addition.

If you wish to travel as cheaply as possible, I recommend travel by bus over train for the long-distance trips. It comes cheaper than rail passes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Regular tickets and IC cards ? 2009/6/29 01:21
: in Tokyo for 5 days, then traveling to Kyoto/Osaka/Shirahama then back to NRT for about 9 days (total 2 weeks).

It costs less than 40,000 yen per adult just to travel Narita Airport - Tokyo - Kyoto Sta. - Shin-Osaka Sta. - Shirahama Sta. and the way back on JR trains; that is cheaper than a 14-day JR Pass for ordinary-class seats by about 5,000 yen or more.

Presumably Uji-san means by gprepaid cardh an IC card designed for e-money which can be appropriated for railroad fares, such as a Suica card (mainly valid for stations around Tokyo of many companies) and an ICOCA card (mainly valid for JR-West stations around Osaka).

Two areas of JR-West Passes donft include any station in Wakayama Prefecture such as Shirahama Sta. JR Seishun 18 Kippu (valid only during a specified time period) can not cover Shinkansen or Ltd. Express or Express trains for sections where local or rapid trains are available. I guess itfs not so easy to use up 2,300 yen in one-day round trip for JR fares.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread