Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation for this picture 2009/6/29 00:49
I'd like a translation for this shirt's text. I'm considering buying it but I just want to know what it says in the text :)
pic here:
http://www.superpirate.com/store/images/Mad_tshirt_Japa...

Thanks already!
by aemor (guest)  

. 2009/6/29 08:41
It says ”M‹¶“I–`Œ¯
which, in Japanese, would literally mean "enthusiastic adventure" but not a common expression. I can "guess" the meaning, but I wouldn't exactly know what it's supposed to mean. Perhaps it is Chinese.
by Uco, Japanese (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/29 09:04
It sounds a bit like someone wanted to create a all-kanji phrase for "mad adventure" or "crazy adventure" to decorate their T-shirts with, though the phrase as it is is not used in Japanese :)
by AK rate this post as useful

RE: Translation for this picture 2009/6/29 14:28
Details are unclear, but it seems that the text ”M‹¶“I–`Œ¯ is a translation for Madventures, which is a title of a series of foreign TV programs.

This kanji compound sounds to be not of common Japanese. The first kanji ”M means heat or heated, the second ‹¶ means (getting) mad or crazy. A word ”M‹¶ means enthusiasm. The third kanji “I works like -ic / -ical as in economic / economical, and a word –`Œ¯ (literally: running a risk) means adventure. My kanji dictionary says using ”M‹¶ in this meaning is a use of Japanese origin.

I hear there are found strange expressions using kanji on foreign-created shirts. This one can at least make sense, though it sounds awkward. I guess the creator couldnft conceive of a better translation for Madventures.

//

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/29 14:38
Just to add:

”M‹¶“I is a word in Japanese, meaning "fanatic, passionate, enthusiastic," as in "”M‹¶“I‚ȃtƒ@ƒ“" (passionate fan ...of some artist and such). So is –`Œ¯ = adventure. But "”M‹¶“I–`Œ¯" is a phrase that doesn't go well together - a PERSON can be passionate about something, but "adventure" cannot be "passionate" :)

So in that sense, aemor, the original poster, it is not a proper Japanese phrase. But if the website decided to adopt this as their Japanese/kanji logo, so be it :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Splendid ! 2009/6/29 15:59
AK-san has admirably explained why it sounds awkward. I agree to the point that ”M‹¶“I is normally used for persons.

//

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/6/29 21:38
Thank you everyone. The answers were all good! :)
by aemor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread