Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What's the difference? 2009/6/30 10:18
How is 「お茶でも飲んでいきませんか」 different from 「お茶で飲みに行きませんか」?
by tuby (guest)  

right and wrong 2009/6/30 14:42
The difference is that the former is correct and the latter is incorrect.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/30 14:56
Oops, typo error. 「お茶でも飲みに行きませんか。」 is wrong?
by tuby (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/30 18:22
「お茶でも飲んでいきませんか」
Wouldn't you like to stay/stop over to have tea (before you/we go)?

「お茶でも飲みに行きませんか。」
Wouldn't you like to go out to have tea?
by AK rate this post as useful

To add 2009/6/30 18:27
- "nonde ikimasen ka?" would be, for example, you have a visitor in your office, and before the visitor leaves, you ask, oh, wouldn't you stay (before you go) to have a cup of tea? Or the two of you just came out of a cinema watching a movie, then you ask your friend that question "wouldn't you like to stop over to have tea (before you go)?" It's almost like "nonde (kara) ikimasen ka," meaning "have tea" then "go."

- "nomi ni ikimasen ka?" is you are asking if the other person would like to GO for the purpose of having tea. "...(verb) ni iku" is "go (for the purpose of doing something)."

=O 2009/6/30 21:00
Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Suggestions differ.... 2009/6/30 21:35
With 「お茶でも飲みに行きませんか」, the speaker is suggesting both going and drinking.
「お茶でも飲みに行きませんか ?」:
"Shall we / Why don't you go and drink tea (or something)?" /
"Shall we / Why don't you go for drinking tea (or something)?"

In 「お茶でも飲んで行きませんか」, the first verb 飲む (drink) weighs more in meaning than the second verb 行く (go).
The speaker is suggesting that you drink tea (or something), not suggesting that you drink tea and go away.
飲んでいく literally means "drink and then go" but practically means "drink before leaving" or so.
「お茶でも飲んで行きませんか ?」:
"Why don't you have tea (or something) before leaving here?"

Another example
「日本を去る前に連絡先を書いて行きなさい。」:
"Write down your contact address before leaving Japan."
.... 行く practically means almost nothing, while去る前に means "before leaving."
cf.
「そのボートをこいで行きなさい。」:
- "Go advance rowing the boat."
.... 行く weighs much in meaning.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

off topic 2009/6/30 23:09
"日本を去る前に連絡先を書いて行きなさい" and
"そのボートをこいで行きなさい" sound demanding and ordering unless an adult talking (down) to a child.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/1 12:40
Have taken note of the point. Thanks.

. 2009/7/1 16:48
I am curious if the following are all mean must?

なけばならない
なければいけない
なければならない
なければならぬ
なければなりません
ねばならない
ねばならぬ
ねばなりません

Also, I noticed a lot of kanji have different readings ye they refer to the same thing like

へみ
へび
くちなわ

Under which circumstances should we use each one?
by jch02140 rate this post as useful

.. 2009/7/1 17:00
The first one must have been a typo - but yes all others mean "must (do something)"

・・・なければ いけない
・・・なければ ならない
・・・なければ ならぬ
・・・なければ なりません
・・・ねば ならない
・・・ねば ならぬ
・・・ねば なりません

The way "must (do...)" is expressed in Japanese, literally, is "if you don't do (something), it is no go."

・・・なければ・・・ねば is the "if you don't..." part, and いけない、ならない、ならぬ、なりません (the last one is polite form of ならない actually) is the "it is no go" part.

I have never seen the word "hemi" and "kuchinawa," and had to look them up in my J - J dictionary. The standard Japanese word to use is "hebi" for snake. Other words (what you refer to as different readings) are dialect words or variants used in some regions, as it seems. It is not really "different readings for the same kanji," but different words.

. 2009/7/1 17:44
Thanks AK. :)

This may get a little off topic but...

Just wondering, if different regions in Japanese uses a particular reading for certain thing, would they know what each other are referring to?...
by jch02140 rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/1 17:57
jch02140,

It's not "reading," but it's a different word :) And it's not that each region has different words for everything, nor is it that everyone uses dialect words.

So... since I didn't know the word "hemi" or "kuchinawa," if I (I'm from Tokyo) visit a farm in rural Kyushu, for example, and the senior owner there tells me "Hatake ni hemi ga ita" ("There was "hemi" in the field"), then I would ask "Hemi?" and probably the guy would say "Aaa, hebi, da." (ahhh, "hebi" I mean). With people who speak with strong dialects, I would need a bit of deciphering - some accents are heavy that I have difficulty understanding the real locals - but that's the same with every language, isn't it? :)

reply to this thread