Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Two week trip advice 2009/7/8 00:30
I'm planning a 13 night trip to Japan and finding it so difficult! So much to see, so little time. I appreciate this kind of question gets asked a lot, but I would really appreciate some input on our itinerary. I can't figure out if it's doable and if our 7-day JR pass will be worth it. Here it is:
Arrive Sun 1st Nov in Tokyo
Mon-Tue 3rd - in Tokyo
Wed 4th - Lake Kawaguchi day trip
Thu 5th - Nikko day trip
Fri 6th - Kamakura day trip
Sat 7th - Early train to Miyajima (activate JR Rail Pass). Overnight stay.
Sun 8th - Miyajima to Kyoto
Mon-Tue 10th - Kyoto
Wed 11th - Nara day trip
Thu 12th - Mount Koya, overnigth stay
Fri 13th - Back to Tokyo
Sat 14th - Deptart

Please let me know if you think this trip is possible (am I cramming in too much??) and also if my 7 day JR pass will be worth the money.

Thank you!
by Belma (guest)  

. 2009/7/8 09:15
Seems a pretty good plan. I would leave out the Lake and spend another day at Koyasan - it deserves longer as it's a lovely and fascinating place not to be rushed.
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

Stop and smell the roses... 2009/7/8 09:23
Sounds like a good plan - wish I was coming along too :)

But, yeah, don't try to plan to keep busy 100% of the time - Japan is a truly fascinating place, so you might want time to just chill somewhere (stop and smell the roses, so to speak) in some places. I could spend 13 days in one area of Tokyo alone and never be bored - if you know what I mean.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/8 10:00
ok John, I'm about to visit Tokyo and prefer a more leisurely pace too - what would you suggest for my visit?
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

Two week trip advice 2009/7/8 17:51
Thanks!
So would you say my 7 day pass be worth it?
And also if I miss the Lake, do I not miss seeing Mt. Fuji?? It seems like that should be essential!
And, if I had to pick either Miyajima or Mount Koya, which would you choose?
Thanks again!
Belma

PS. How about swapping Miyajima for Shokoku island and Dogo? It's also an island with nice scenary and slightly closer, so would perhaps be less rushed?
by Belma (guest) rate this post as useful

don't miss either 2009/7/8 19:28
wellll there is no choosing between Koyasan and Miyajima - try hard to do both... they are two of the best places in Japan. I could leave out Nara but it's hard isn't it - 13 days is just not enough. What about planning to come back another time and not try to fit in too much this time? It is a pity to spend loads of time on trains (lovely as they are) and rush through such wonderful places...
by yeshekathy rate this post as useful

oh and leave out the lake... 2009/7/8 19:29
Probably not so necessary to go to the lake...
by yeshekathy rate this post as useful

do it! 2009/7/8 21:19
Hello Belma. Your itinerary sounds remarkably similar to my own when I went with a friend 10 years ago. It was definitely doable, and certainly worth it. Yes, you'll feel fatigued after, but it's not every day you'll get the opportunity to see Japan! Miyajima is fantastic - so good that we went back there on our honeymoon. Walking about on the island after all the day visitors have taken the last ferry back to the mainland was quite magical. The rail pass is great value for money considering all the travelling you'll be doing in that time. Have fun! x
by anri (guest) rate this post as useful

Two week trip advice 2009/7/8 23:35
thanks everyone! i think overall i am trying to do too much - i want to see lots, but i do want to have time to take it all in. so,i'll go to mount koya and miyajima, but will take off something else. so (last question, i promise!), which one should i leave out:
1) nara
2) nikko
3) lake kawaguchiko
thank you!
b
by Belma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread