Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

eligible for suica card/NEX package? 2009/7/8 00:46
I am a Japanese passport holder, but resident permanently in the uk and married to an Englishman. Am I eligible for the suica card/NEX package?
by anri (guest)  

No... 2009/7/8 09:20
Sorry, no, you will need a foregin PASSPORT to actually buy it. Now while your friend could buy two tickets with their foreign passport, IF you are stopped and checked on the actual train by ticket inspectors (common - due to number of gainjin on board) you will be in trouble. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/8 10:38
I just checked the eligibility - and yes, the above information is correct.

It's strange that it is limited to non-Japanese passport holders, while Japan Rail Pass is available also to Japanese nationals who have no resident registration ("juminhyo") in Japan. Strange distinction, but I guess it cannot be helped :(
by AK rate this post as useful

Marketing... 2009/7/8 15:07
AK - I have always believed this Suica/NEX pack to be not actually that beneficial to the average tourist. Sure it's cheap enough, but how many tourists would use the full amount on the Suica card? How many would attempt to get a refund on the card itself? And more importantly, when it comes to going home (back to Narita) they suddenly realise they have no ticket - do not understand buses, so pay FULL FARE for a return on Narita Express!!! Good marketing decision - someone is making a lot of money. :)

But, yeah, sure, if you know the system, and can make your own way back to Narita - it is beneficial. I buy it most times I'm in Japan, but not always.

thanks - alternatives? 2009/7/8 16:39
Thanks for the info peeps. I'm going to be in Japan for only 6 days, travel includes using the tube and going from Narita to Shinjuku (and back) - can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to the suica/NEX package please? Thanks. x
by anri (guest) rate this post as useful

Catch the bus! 2009/7/8 17:02
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/ for what it's worth, really is the best option in my opinion. It's cheaper than train, takes about the same time (more or less) but takes you from doorstep to doorstep basically. No lugging your suitcase and kids up and down train station steps, trying to catch multiple connecting trains to save a few yen... Just sit back, enjoy it.

I believe, in hindsight, the Japanese should never have built Narita Airport (too far from anything really) - so just consider this transport to Tokyo part of the cost of your trip. Ain't much else you can do actually. :)

NEX is still an option for you though - he gets the pass, you don't. But, yeah, depending on your destination, the bus might be the go.

... 2009/7/8 18:58
anri,

If you really want it cheap (and if that's THE thing that matters), then you take the Keisei Limited Express (NOT the Skyliner) to Nippori, change to Yamanote Line, to get to Shinjuku.

Otherwise, for comfort, go for the bus, as suggested by John.

Keisei Limited Express trains have the regular commuter-style "7-seater long-seat," not the comfortable 2 by 2 seating, and they do not have any end-of-carriage luggage space. But if you are OK with that, I believe it is 1,000 yen on Keisei to Nippori, and then maybe 190 yen? on Yamanote line to Shinjuku.

Check on the Keisei website :)

John,

I see what you mean - but unless you have JR Pass, you'd have to pay the full fare on Narita Express on the way back anyway. And you can certainly get a refund on it... though some would keep the card for a souvenir :) As a Japanese living in Japan, I always envy the little (and sometimes major) perks that tourists to Japan enjoy on the JR :)
by AK rate this post as useful

bus it is! 2009/7/8 19:21
Thanks again for the advice. Although I'm Japanese I've never lived in Japan (and my Japanese language is very dodgy) - this knocks my confidence while I'm there, as I can't make sense of the native ways, but neither am I eligible to be treated like a foreign tourist! (and I cringe at the strange looks I get when I try to ask things in my rubbish Japanese!) So, all your inside knowledge is much appreciated! xx
by anri (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/9 01:41
My first trip to Japan years ago, I understood zero Japanese, read zero Japanese, spoke zero Japanese, used the Keisei Limited Express to Nippori then changed to the JR line at Nippori with virtually no problems. So if language is an issue, it shouldn't be, signs and announcements are mostly bilingual now.

Keisei is opening a fast new line next year to connect with Narita in 36 minutes. That's pretty fast. Also comparing with some other major airports, eg New York City can take up to an hour to get into downtown Manhattan as well.

As for the SUICA & NEX, I would venture to say with 1500yen on the SUICA card that many tourists run it out quickly, considering the amount of travel most tourists do in Tokyo, and that the card can be used for more then just rail travel.

But it is a big marketing plan, thats why they don't offer a discounted return trip, you ride cheap the first time, get a "taste" of it, then pay for a full ride back. I always use the Keisei Line or the JR Sobu Rapid train instead.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread