Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anyone living in Nagoya? 2009/7/8 16:14
I just moved to Nagoya from the Philippines last month, and I was wondering if there's anyone here living in Nagoya? How is life like here? I currently hold a Japanese passport, so I'm considered a Japanese citizen, but having been born and raised in the Philippines (my mother's country) my whole life, I am a Japanese who doesn't know how to speak Japanese. Lol.

Of course, I can get by with basic to conversational Nihongo. I can read and write hiragana, katakana, and several kanji, but for the most part, I still suck at kanji.

I just graduated from college last March and I am currently living by myself. Both my parents are staying in the Philippines, but I have an aunt and uncle to watch over me here. I also teach English to kids as a part-time job.

So I just like to ask how living in Nagoya is like for foreigners. Technically, I'm not a foreigner, but my lack of expertise in Japanese pretty much puts me in the same place. It's kinda crappy not having any family and friends here, and it doesn't help that it's kids I'm teaching at my part-time. So how is everyone getting by?

Looking forward to all your replies :)
by shuuen  

Nagoya 2009/7/8 17:19
I live in Nagoya and run a business in Nagoya as a foreigner. Unfortunately my work has me out of there a lot more than in there recently.
I like it and prefer it to other larger cities because it's *quieter* and the people more or less mind their own business, more conservative I believe is the better term.

I get by just fine with my Japanese skills which are by no means professional :)
In the last 12 months alone I believe there has been a massive influx of foreigners going there so if you are looking for other similar people you are probably going to find some friends.

Basic conversational skills is helpful as you may have noticed english skills are quite rare to come across.
I'll be moving back there next month so if you want to catch up for a drink sometime, let me know :)
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Anyone Living in Nagoya ! 2009/7/8 23:22
I live here and have not been ableto find a job. Are you hiring ?
by frank65 rate this post as useful

Nagoya 2009/7/9 10:42
In my line of business I don't really hire, I have people on my books. But no these market conditions affect us as well :(
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Anyone Living in Nagoya ! 2009/7/9 18:21
I know how the market is. If you know anyone who is hiring please let me know. I'm hardworking, honest and have a three year visa to live in Japan. This is the first time I have been out of work in 26 years. I was an operations manager at a Fortune 500 company in Hong Kong last year so have alot of corporate experience.
by frank65 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread