Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Byodo-in or Fushimi-Inari? 2009/7/9 05:32
So I was all set to drop into Fushimi-Inari on the way from Kyoto to Nara and then I read about the Byodo-in temple and that sounds pretty good too and it's also on the way to Nara. But I suspect that trying to fit in Fushimi-Inari, Byodoin and Nara all on the same day would make for a rushed experience and I would ending up not enjoying any of them.

If you had to choose, which way would you go? Or do you think it's entirely possible? For example, Inari by 8am; onto Uji by 10am; be in Nara by midday? Does that sound rushed? I plan on walking around most of Nara Park when I get there, so that's another four hours or so.
by mgal  

No 2009/7/9 20:29
Doing all 3 in a day is hectic. You'll end up enjoying none of them.

Can you spare a couple of hours for Fushimi-Inari on another day while staying in Kyoto. It's just under 10 min JR from Kyoto.

Nara deserves more than just a few hours, IMHO.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Matter of Taste 2009/7/9 21:23
I've been to both places, and it's a matter of personal preference, but I would choose Fushimi Inari over Byodoin any day. Byodoin is very popular with Japanese natives but I honestly did not get turned on by it. Fushimi Inari, on the other hand, is one of my favorite places. It is quite unique. This is just one opinion, though. Byodoin has more formal structures and historic artifacts if you're interested in those things.

You could possibly stop at Fushimi Inari and walk around for a bit to see what it's like. You can get the flavor (and take some great pictures for your photo album) in under 30 minutes (keep an eye on the train schedule). Then if you decide you want to spend more time there, you can do so and scratch Byodoin off your list.

Doing all three in one day is possible but it really cuts down on the time you have in Nara, which is a pity. The logistics (train connections and getting to and from the places themselves) take up considerable time. (Fushimi Inari is the most convenient in that respect, for what it's worth--very close to the JR station.)
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/9 22:10
They filmed "Memoirs of a Geisha" at Fushimi. I loved going there.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks, both 2009/7/9 22:22
I think the only reason I was planning on squashing all 3 together was cos Uji and Inari are both 'on the way to' Nara. But like William says, both are just down the line from Kyoto where I'll be for 7 days. So I'll definitely check out Fushimi-Inari that day. If I get to Byodoin, all well and good, if not, I'll squeeze it in on a different, less hectic day (not that there's many of those lol )
by mgal rate this post as useful

Separate day 2009/7/10 07:04
Nara is really worth a whole day of its own, especially if you can then get to some of the outlying temples like Horyuji.

Uji has a few other worthwhile attractions in addition to Byodoin. Ujigami-jinja is unassuming but quite powerful, and there are a few other nice temples nestled in the hills.

it would be a rewarding day to go venture south to Uji and Fushimi-Inari (and Tofukuji if you have time), entirely separate from the day in Nara.
by Albert A (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread