Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about hot springs 2009/7/10 09:00
Hi

I'm going to Japan in late November and I really wanted to go to a hot spring. I've been on the secret onsen website, but I'm having a little trouble.

We are very modest people so we don't particularly fancy getting naked in front of other people. Does anyone know of one where it's ok not to be naked?
by k (guest)  

onsen 2009/7/10 10:20
Generally speaking, being naked is just part of the experience and there are few examples of traditional onsen that don't require it. So if you want to experience traditional onsen then the best advice is to just get naked.

That said, there are a few exceptions and some onsen even require varying degrees of coveredness. Just know that these are not typically traditional onsen, some are more in line with water parks.

If this is sufficient the Yunessen in Hakone is probably the most accessible to most travellers.

http://www.yunessun.com/english/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/10 13:51
One option would be to try to book accommodation that offers a private hot spring.

I don't know where you plan to be staying, but I stayed at a guesthouse in Hakone that was very inexpensive, had nice Japanese style rooms, and offered private hot springs (indoor and outdoor).

http://hakone.syuriken.jp/hakone/

by Barney13 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/7/13 14:00
Thank you for the replies.

We get that it's part of the cultural experience, but just wanted to know our options before exposing ourselves!

:)
by k (guest) rate this post as useful

Try it 2009/7/13 14:51
For what it's worth, I was incredibly nervous the first time, so much so I uhm, ahh, couldn't errr control things :| But after the first 3 minutes, and the first 3 naked guys I'd ever seen in my life, I found I stopped looking at others, nobody was looking at me, and had a most relaxing time.

I know how hard it seems to some people - but please do try it. It's not as bad as you might think.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

options 2009/7/13 15:15
We get that it's part of the cultural experience, but just wanted to know our options before exposing ourselves!

As Barney13 advises, finding an onsen that offers private bathing is probably your best bet. You can usually find ryokan that offer it pretty much anywhere.

Otherwise you'll have to look for onsen that allow/require some sort of covering which are usually atypical or not traditional.

If you intend on visiting specific famous baths, Dogo Onsen for example, then you should follow house rules which usually mean you should bathe naked.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread