Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura Day trip 2009/7/10 10:40
hi,

I'm actually planning for a trip to Kamakura around Aug time after alighting from the plane in the morning. I'll be putting my luggages at hotel first @ Ikebukuro before setting off to Shinjuku to get the Odakyu pass for Kamakura.
I've seen a round course for Kamakura on a website and wonder if it's feasible for me to follow.
http://kanagawa-kankou.or.jp/english/modelcourse/kamaku...
I'm looking at the Day 2 course.
estimated time of leaving Ikebukuro is either 1025 or 1125...

Can someone advise if it's feasible?
I'm not really sure if the shrines have a closing time cause they didnt seem to state it anywhere.
by wishin (guest)  

heat is a factor 2009/7/10 11:31
It's feasible, but bear in mind that it will be extremely hot and humid and that Kamakura is hilly- especially in the Hasedera-Zeni-arai area. Don't be too ambitious, just get through what you can and then go back to the station early if you get tired.

My top three out of the day 2 tour on that page would be the Daibutsu, Zeni-arai Benten and Tsurugaoka Hachimangu.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/10 12:26
So, if I understand you correctly, you plan to spend just one day in Kamakura and follow the Day 2 course explained on the link?

As far as time goes, that course looks doable. The temples do have closing times, they vary from temple to temple. The final temple on your itinerary (Hasedera) closes at 5:30 pm, and if you follow the walking course suggested touring times for each site, you should be there before then. However, keep in mind, the time you will spend waiting for the bus is not factored in.

The two biggest problems with this course are:

A) August is hot. Really, really hot. And humid. That course requires a lot of walking, not only walking from temple to temple, but also walking around the temple grounds. It might be really uncomfortable.

B) Generally, the Day 2 course looks like a more interesting collection of places than the Day 1 course, however, it leaves out Kenchoji Temples, which is really worth seeing. It covers a big area and there's loads to see.

by Barney13 rate this post as useful

Leave earlier 2009/7/10 13:37
I would seriously consider leaving Tokyo earlier than that to allow yourself a more leisurely day. Having done the one day trip I wish I'd started a bit earlier instead of racing around and having to grab conbini food as I had no time!
by Phin (guest) rate this post as useful

kamakura 2009/7/10 15:29
I can't set off earlier as it's my first day itinerary, which is the day I touch down in Japan...
I'm hoping that i'll be able to catch the morning liner so that I can set off earlier...but I'm not sure if i'm able to do so, cause I don't really know how long will it take for me to clear japan customs.
by wishin (guest) rate this post as useful

Hot and humid 2009/7/19 16:39
If you don't mind spending a bit of money then take taxis instead of buses. They would cost around 1000yen or 10USD to most places around Kamakura and if you are travelling with other people then it is not much more expensive then taking the bus or the Enoden street car. The street car is old-fashioned and quaint though so if you are have time then you can try it. As for the heat, wear a hat, drink lots of liquids, wear comfortable shoes or sandals. I find that it helps to be physically fit before any trips that require lots of walking, such as jogging a few times a week before the trip to japan so you won't spend your trip with sore feet and legs. You would also probably be really tired from the plane ride so you could make your first day in Japan a bit lighter such as exploring parts of Tokyo for the first day and resting at the hotel. If you can, try adjusting to japanese time a bit before leaving your country by sleeping early/late to minimize jet lag. .... and have fun!
by sammantha (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread