Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using the trains 2009/7/11 08:13
Hey everyone

Im trying to find some information on traveling within Japan. I am going to get a 14 day rail pass but I have a few questions.

I am planning on getting the green car pass mostly because my parents agreed to pay for it and I can get overwhelmed in big crowds sometimes so I figured that it would be useful when I am trying to find my way around, do you guys think it is a good idea?

Also I get that I will use the rail pass for all of my big trips tokyo to Kyoto and so on, but how do I travel within the cities are there trains or buses that are covered by the rail pass?

Anyway here is the itinerary I am planning to go with http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_13.html

If anyone has some info for me about how to get around or comments or suggestions about the itinerary it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Shaun
by shaun91  

... 2009/7/12 08:46
I am planning on getting the green car pass mostly because my parents agreed to pay for it and I can get overwhelmed in big crowds sometimes so I figured that it would be useful when I am trying to find my way around, do you guys think it is a good idea?

The green car pass will not help you to find your way around any better than a ordinary pass. But, green cars are more comfortable and usually less crowded and calmer.

Also I get that I will use the rail pass for all of my big trips tokyo to Kyoto and so on, but how do I travel within the cities are there trains or buses that are covered by the rail pass?

Yes, urban JR trains, such as the Yamanote Line, are also covered, but subways and most buses are not covered. In Tokyo, JR trains are quite useful to get around, but in Kyoto they are not. You can check the transportation pages of each city on this website for more details.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Few thoughts... 2009/7/12 12:23
Green Cars are cool, especially if someone else is paying. But, please understand (obviously) there is only 1 or 2 green carriages per long train. So, once you find the right station, and the right platform at the right time - you need to be standing in the RIGHT AREA on that platform to line up with where the green cars stop. If you end up at the wrong end of the train, at least get on before it moves away, but you'll have a time moving down the train trying to find the green car.

But, don't worry, just look for the green leaf clover looking sign on the platform, and generally painted signs on the ground "green car stops here" - generally in the middle of the platforms though - not either end.

On the JR issue, I'll just re-iterate what Uji said - your pass is for JR COMPANY trains plane and automobiles so to speak. Keep in mind there are other companies that run trains and subways and buses - you can't go on them. So if you're planning a trip or looking at a subway map or asking people - remember to mention you'd prefer to travel on JR - it might take you a bit longer to get someone (longer route) but at least it's free for you.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Not worth it 2009/7/12 20:14
Having an ordinary pass allows you to book seats in advance, which therefore means that you will have a seat on the train and not have to worry about crowds on long distance trains. Having a green pass only entitles you to sit in the green cars, and as Uji said, really wont make any difference in your ability to get around. Personally, I don't think that it is worth the money for some more seat space.
If you are bothered by large crowds make sure that you avoid catching trains during peak hours of the day. Large stations, such as Shinjuku in Tokyo could be quite daunting for you at busy times.
by Lms (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread