Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bicycle rental at Atami, Izu Peninsula ? 2009/7/13 02:56
I am planning to visit Izu Peninsula some time during winter December.
But I prefer to do my sight-seeing on a bicycle. Is there a bicycle rental service at Atami station or anywhere nearby?

thanks in advance.
by xengk (guest)  

Hotels 2009/7/13 10:16
Many hotels/ryokan in resort type areas have bikes for rent (eg Atami Hotel) but not sure if you need to be a guest (I would assume so) to rent one.

Standalone rental shops like we see in many countries.... I cannot think of any.

Try calling wherever you're staying - even (youth) hostels might have some contacts.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/7/13 15:18
Thanks for the help.
But I will be staying in Tokyo and travel down by JR to Izu for a day trip.
by xengk (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/13 16:56
The roads in Izu are very hilly so you would need a well-equiped bike with gears. Most bike rental places just rent those single-gear, grocery store style bikes.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/13 17:18
Kato, I was thinking the same. Everytime I've ridden my motorbike down that way it's been long fast winding STEEP hills... I wouldn't wanna do it on a peddly. But, to each his own I guess. :D

It is a nice area to take it slow though.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/7/14 22:25
thanks for the feedback Kato, and John.

I be sure to lookout for a mountain bicycle. If failing that, I will keep a pair of climbing shoe ready.

From reading the articles regarding Izu, I believe it is a scenic location and it would be a shameful waste to speed past it on a car, bus or train.
by xengk (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread