Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying- want to bring my partner 2009/7/13 21:52
Hi, everyone! I know there are a lot of similar questions about spouses/partners/etc., but I cannot find one which matches my circumstances! I am a university student (studying Japanese), aged 23. Next year I have to go to Japan as part of my course. I will be spending the entire academic year- September to June. I want my partner of 7 years to come with me and preferably to stay for the duration. He is 30 (will be 32 by the time we go). He doesn't qualify for the JET programme due to lack of qualifications, and he will be beyond the upper age limit for the working holiday visa (unless you can apply a year in advance?). Are there any other options available to him? The only other idea we had was a voluntary visa, but this is all dependent on a number of factors such as a project being available in the right place at the right time. When I go back to university in September I plan to speak to my personal tutor about the situation, but if anyone can offer any advice in the meantime I would be very grateful! Also, can anyone tell me if it would change his visa eligibility if we were married? Thank you all! xx
by kitty starbrite  

. 2009/7/14 11:24
Here's a list of all the visa types:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/04.html#a

I don't see a voluntary visa. Maybe you mean the cultural activities visa?

If you two were married, he'd be eligible for a dependent visa.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Studying - Want to Bring Partner 2009/7/19 22:42
What country are you from ? I think countries like Australia and UK have those holiday work visas. I have heard that before. If you're from America it doesn't apply. You can get married or he can stay up to 3 months or 6 months (depending on what country you are from) and then go home a couple of weeks and come back again. That maybe an option but I think if you get married or he goes to school in Japan for a year he can stay and get a visa. Perhaps he may want to study japanese for one year at a school in Japan.
by frank65 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread