Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

19 days Fukuoka to Tokyo 2009/7/13 22:37
Hi everyone. I'm trying to plan a big trip and I'm wondering if I could get some insight/advice to see if this itinerary will work or not.

day 1: Arrive to Fukuoka from Korea.
day 2: Fukuoka
day 3: Nagasaki
Day 4: Hiroshima
Day 5: Miyajima
Day 6-7: Kobe
Day 8-9 Osaka
Day 10-11: Kyoto
Day 12: Nagoya
Day 13-14: Yokohama
Day 15-19: Tokyo

I've seen another person's post going from Tokyo to Fukuoka to Korea in 14 days, but not stopping at as many cities.

1) I know I've got a lot of place, do you think I should cut down?

2) What would be the best way to travel from Fukuoka to Tokyo? 14 day JR rail? Or Seishun 18?

3) Should I get any other JR rail passes like East or West or Kyushuu etc?

4) Know of any soba eating places or other food eating "contest" places (like wanko soba) where they give you a little souvenier for how many bowls you eat, but somewhere where we will be traveling since we won't make it to Iwate.

5) Any cheap and good Kaiten Suzhi places but using a boat on the water as the conveyor belt?

Thanks!
by drummer26  

Busy trip... 2009/7/14 11:08
Sounds a bit full on to me - but, whatever works for you I guess. I'd get a good train ticket, me thinks you're going to spend a lot of time on trains trying to accomplish all this.

Obviously wait and see what others say, but... seems a bit busy to me.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/14 16:21
Hi there,

From what you posted it seems like you will be changing hotels often (unless you just didnt specify where you are staying).
I think you need to base yourself in some cities and do day trips. This is what I would do:
Day 1: Arrive to Fukuoka from Korea.
Day 2: Fukuoka
Day 3: Day trip from Fukuoka to Nagasaki
Day 4: Hiroshima
Day 5: Day trip from Hiroshima to Miyajima
Day 6-10: Osaka with day trips to Kobe and Nagoya
Day 11-12: Kyoto
Day 13-19: Tokyo with day trips to Yokohama

I would prefer something like that anyway, saves moving your luggage around all the time. I would actually spend a couple more days in Kyoto rather than Tokyo perhaps, but it depends what you are into.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

updated itinerary 2009/7/14 17:54

Thanks for both your replies. After thinking a little more, I think having a base with a JR rail pass is better than traveling and checking in and out of hostels/hotels.

And I think if I can just use a 7 day rail pass that can cut down a little more.

So the new plan is:

Day 1-3: Fukuoka
Day 4 (1st day of JR Rail pass): Go to hiroshima, visit Miyajima, and get to Osaka by night, stay in Osaka.
Day 5: Visit Osaka
Day 6: Day Trip Nagoya
Day 7: Day Trip Kobe
Day 8: Day Trip Kyoto
Day 9: Day Trip or Osaka
Day 10 (7th day of JR Pass): Go to Yokohama, and stay there.
Day 11: Yokohama
Day 12: Yokohama
Day 13-17: Tokyo Area

This way I'll be basing out of Fukuoka, Osaka, Yokohama, and Tokyo, instead of staying at every city.

I also get to travel the longest distance from Fukuoka to Yokohama using the 7 day rail pass.

Does it seem better?

I'll mostly be looking at architecture and some museums, the expo in yokohama, and some "must see" tourist attractions.

Thanks!
by drummer26 rate this post as useful

Itinery 2009/7/15 01:22
Your new itinerary looks better, but I have to agree with the suggestions of the previous poster. They have pretty much nailed exactly what I would do if I were in your boat.

Keep in mind also that Yokohama and Tokyo are only half an hour away from each other by train. I probably would base myself in Tokyo and just do a day trip to Yokohama... I mean, if you really like it, it's very accessible and easy to get back there.

I get the feeling you're more of a city person as opposed to someone who wants to see historical sights? or maybe you've been to Kyoto previously? Since you do have a reasonable amount of time in Japan, a day trip to Kyoto doesn't otherwise seem quite sufficient to me. But to each their own...

Kyoto is fairly spread out, and buses are generally used to visit attractions. There's HEAPS to see, and it can be time consuming. If you haven't been before, I strongly recommend you visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine.

by Lisaca (guest) rate this post as useful

my thoughts... 2009/7/15 19:59
day 4 seems a bit ambitious.

if it were me, i'd stay the night in Hiroshima. i can almost guarantee that you'll want a little more time there. leave for osaka the following afternoon. if you're like me, Miyajima will take longer than you think. it's worth the extra time, especially since you're already spending so much time in the cities. you'll love that place!

i'd also skip the day trip to Nagoya and stop in Nagoya on your way to Tokyo/Yokohama.
by akamai4u rate this post as useful

reply to this thread