Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Melatonin & customs 2009/7/14 00:48
I want to bring some melatonin with me to ease my jet lag, but I couldn't find any specific mention of it being allowed or not allowed in Japan. Does anyone have any experience on bringing melatonin into Japan? Did it cause any problems at customs?
by SilverShrimp0  

Doctor's letter 2009/7/14 11:06
I have no experience with melatonin, however a doctor's letter will get you past most overenthusiastic immigration officials in any country. You may or may not need it for this in Japan, but it can't hurt.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

melatonin 2009/7/14 12:55
Melatonin is considered a supplement here in the US and can be purchased at many places - no prescription needed. The customs inspector saw it in my carry on but didn't say anything and let me proceed. My traveling companion however brought what must have looked like half a pharmacy. They lined all the pill bottles and supplements up and looked them over very carefully, asked him about a few, then put everything back and let him proceed as well.
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

! 2009/7/15 10:59
Thanks for your response. I figure it'll be okay since @ http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/import/index.html it says "#

# There is no need for a License for individual's importing or bringing medication into Japan for personal use. An individual can import the following restricted quantities of medication without special procedures. Medication imported or brought into Japan for personal use must not be sold or given to others."

Do you have to check the box that says you're carrying restricted items on the customs form?
by SilverShrimp0 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread