Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Two week Tokyo itinerary - suggestions? 2009/7/14 01:01
Hi all,

I've been planning for a while now and I'm trying to put together an itinerary for a 2 week trip to Tokyo for my boyfriend and I starting 30th September. I would be really great to get your opinions on the plan.. whether I've planned enough to do or anything important I've missed. We're both 21 - I enjoy shopping and all the kawaii things which come from Japan, he enjoys electronics and we are both massive geeks so anime, games, computers etc etc. Saying that though, we do aim to see some traditional and cultural aspects of Japan as you'll see below :)

Wed 30th Sept - Board plane at 19.35

Thurs 1st Oct - Arrive at Narita 15.20 - Buy Suica and N'ex package and ride Narita Express to Shinjuku - walk to the Sunroute Plaza. May explore a bit of Shinjuku if we're not too tired.

Fri 2nd Oct - am Asakusa - Senso-ji and explore surrounding area

pm - Shibuya - Shibuya crossing & Hachiko, check out the 109 building and other shops in the area.

Sat 3rd Oct - am Studio Ghibli Museum - Does it make a difference going on a Saturday?

pm Ikebukuro - Sunshine City & observation deck, Nekobukuro, maybe check out an arcade, Otome Road.

Sun 4th Oct - am Harajuku - Meji shrine, cosplayers and Yoyogi park. Expecting to spend quite a while in the shops around here!

pm Edo Tokyo Museum 2-ish hours?

Mon 5th Oct - Nikko day trip

Tues 6th Oct - Tokyo sea life park 2-ish hours in the morning? then onto Akihabara for geeky shopping :) Perhaps Roppongi for an evening meal and some bars?

Wed 7th Oct - Ueno most of the day - Ueno Zoo, Ameyoko arcade, shrines in the area. Maybe a museum around here? Perhaps Roppongi this evening instead.

Thurs 8th Oct - Catch romance car with Hakone Free Pass to Hakone and do the Hakone Loop. Stay at Ichinoyu Honkan.

Fri 9th Oct - Yunessun water park and then catch train back to Shinjuku - more Shinjuku exploring if theres some time.

Sat 10th Oct - Odaiba - National museum of emerging science and innovation, panasonic center, joypolis, megaweb, some shopping etc etc.

Sun 11th Oct - Kamakura day trip - Possible on a Sunday?

Mon 12th Oct - Tsukiji fish market - we aren't big fish lovers but is this still a must see??

pm Ginza - Sony Building, old shinbashi station, shopping.

Tues 13th & Wed 14th - I've left these days free for anything we might want to go back to. Possibly more exploring

Shinjuku since we don't have a day dedicated to the area. I figured most evenings we will end up back there. Also allows time for packing.

Thurs 15th - Catch Narita Express back to Narita? Or something cheaper? Board plane at 11.35.

I've planned quite detailed because I want to make sure our time is used wisely, also want to finalise the days we go to Hakone and the Ghibli museum so I can book.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!
by Eminee  

... 2009/7/14 16:35
It looks pretty good to me. Maybe you should go to Kamakura on a weekday because it can get packed on weekends.

I think you could definitely skip Ueno zoo, its very concrete and seems a bit cruel to me coming from an Australian zoo perspective. Ameyoko is cool, particularly at night I thought. Tokyo museum is in Ueno park if you were looking for a museum close by.

Dont hand your hopes on the Sony building, it was interesting but I was expecting more so just donft hold your hopes for it too high or you might be disappointed.

Dont miss Kiddlyland in Harajuku (its in the Lonely Planet Guide) for cute Japanese things, its a 6 floor toy store.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

thank you 2009/7/16 20:17
Thanks for your reply and advice.
I probably will move Kamakura to a weekday to make it easier for us.

And although I've heard about Ueno zoo being quite small with small enclosures for animals etc.. we did still want to see a Japanese zoo. I was thinking maybe we could go to Tama Zoo as I've heard that is alot more animal friendly... but is it difficult to get too?

Oh and I'm definitely going to Kiddyland!!

by Eminee rate this post as useful

zoos 2009/7/16 22:42
Tama zoo is about an hour from Tokyo by train. Have a look at http://www.tokyo-zoo.net/english/

There is also Zoorasia in Yokohama. I haven't been there but it is a newer zoo.

Tama Zoo 2009/7/17 19:33
Ahh well tama zoo sounds alot nicer and do-able, but would it take up a whole day?

... 2009/7/17 20:01
I've never been there but it looks like there is a lot to do. I guess you could spend as much or as little time there as you like but obviously the travel time will mean it will take up a considerable amount of the day.

Maybe someone who has been there will offer their opinion.

Sunroute Hotel 2009/7/18 04:16
Did you know that there is limousine bus that goes right to Sunroute Plaza in Shinjyuku? It is 3000 yen but bus leaves right outside of the exit from Customs Inspection and goes right in front of the hotel. After the long trip, it is nice that you don't have to drag the suitcase to JR station. I have a question for you. I just happen to see Sunroute hotel information in the list of hotels for limousine bus when I was looking for the hotel. Is this hotel nice and reasonable? The information for the limousine bus is:
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/timetable/narita/shinj...
by love Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo Free Guide 2009/7/18 09:53
Hi Eminee,

First of all, I would like to say that my English is not perfect but I never wish to be impolite and hope you understand what I say.

As for Tama zoo, it takes about one hour from Shinjuku but if you can take Keio Line, bound for Tama Dobutsukoen, it would be much faster and easier. Also you don't need to spend whole day for the zoo.

As for Ghibli museum, it is very nice place! if you really like Japanese anime, it is must-see-place!!! But it is a small museum. You can see all the attractions in two hours. I recommend to visit Kichijoji area after the museum.

Do you know the following service?
http://www.tokyofreeguide.com/index.php?ml_lang=en

It is a voluteer guide service. One of my friends from UK used the servece and she said it was very useful.

Hope you have a great trip!!!
by songcatcher rate this post as useful

ryokan? 2009/8/3 01:01
Thank you all for the helpful replies.

I do have one other question about our trip to Hakone. Since we are staying overnight at have our heart set on Ichinoyu Honkan (and more specifically a room with a private onsen), should we make reservations now?

I have been told we should wait until we are there so that we can go on a clear day but surely the chances then are that there will be no rooms left at ichinoyu? Opinions or experiences???

reply to this thread