Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Self drive to Fuji Five Lake 2009/7/15 01:13
I would like to know if self drive in rental car is recommendable for going to Fuji Five Lake? When I check ToCoo site, a 1500cc car cost around JPY 10,000.

If taking bus to go and trains back to Shinjuku, the cost is roughly the following:
Bus from Shinjuku to Kawaguchi 5th station – JPY 2600
5th station to Kawaguchi station – JPY 1500
Kawaguchi to Fujiyoshida station JPY 210
Retro bus – JPY 1000
Train from Kawaguchiko to Shinjuku – JPY 4000
Total will be JPY 9310 x 2 adults
Can you pls advise if my transportation plan is correct? We are taking train back because staying for the fire festival till evening, so will miss the last bus back.

Thank you!
by Apple76  

... 2009/7/15 12:18
Your fees look correct. For the car, you will have to add toll fees for the expressway (about 4000 yen one way from Tokyo) and the toll road that leads to Kawaguchiko 5th Station (2000 yen round trip). Plus gasoline and eventual parking fees.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/15 12:41
Hi Uji

Thank you for your reply. The toll fees are actually my next questions. Can you pls assist further on below:

1. Is there any other means(direct) back to Shinjuku besides taking train, if we are looking at leaving Kawaguchiko in the evening, around 6-7pm? I tried avoiding taking trains because of the number of stops involved.

2. Is driving a better choice to go around Fuji Five Lake/5th station than taking public transport like retro bus? I like the flexibility of driving but do not want to be tied down by the parking, lost of way or anything that might happen

3. Do you know if GPS in rental car supports English language? If they do not, how do foreigners manage with Japanese GPS?

Thank you!
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

Hi Apple76, again 2009/7/15 16:05
This is Green (you gave me some hotel advice recently re Noboribetsu). I've driven on 5 previous trips to Honshu and Kyushu and would like to share some my experience :
1. Re GPS: As far as I know 99% of all GPS is in Japanese but don't be put off by this as I don't speak Japanese and yet have had v few problems driving in Japan. Also, don't forget there is usually a good size interactive picture screen with clear arrows etc showing you where to go so even non-Japanese speakers can understand easily. Should you decide to drive, I could give more specific advice.
2. If you are just planning to go to 5th stn, then it may not be worth the hassle and worry but if you are planning on touring the area, then a car is a must.
3. 1st consideration is how confident are you as a driver ? Have you driven long in your own country and in other countries? Japanese drivers generally drive slower than elsewhere and are v polite so it is easy to drive in the countryside but this does not apply to major cosmoplolitan areas like Tokyo.
4. Also, if you're just a casual visitor to Japan, meaning you plan on visiting Japan once or twice and you don't speak Japanese, then again I would say it it not worth it. On the other hand, if you plan on returning to Japan a few more times, then in my experience, having a car really opens up the country, its culture + saving you both time and money (esp if there are say 3 or 4 of you). Put it this way, we started off using public transport but once we started driving, we've never gone back and we enjoyed our holidays so much more.
4. The 1st time we drove in Japan was in Fuji 5 lakes. We took the bus from Shinjuku and then rented a car in Kawaguchiko. We then drove to Matsumoto, Japan Alps, Takayama, Kiso valley etc, ie: all countryside before returning the car to Kofu and took the train back. Note there's NO drop charge in Kofu and the Toyota branch there is right opposite the JR stn with trains direct to Shinjuku.
5. Money wise, it makes most sense to rent right at Narita and return the car there as you save on the airport transfers into Tokyo. However, I would strongly advise you against this if you've not driven in Japan before as you would need to go through Tokyo almost East to West to get from Narita to Kawaguchiko. Learn to drive in the countryside 1st before taking on Tokyo !
6. Lastly, to answer you question, I know only of trains and buses between Shinjuku and Kawaguchiko.
by Green (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/16 18:48
Thank you Green, you have been most helpful!

We are still considering, but adding the toll, parking and petrol, it might not be so cost effective for 2 adults after all.

Plus I was just told there are direct buses from Fujiyoshida back to Shinjuku and the last one leaves at 8pm, so probably taking the bus will be the lowest risk choice.

I would like to know if the below route/transport is correct:
Shinjuku ¡V(Highway Bus)„³ Kawaguchiko 5th station ¡V(Bus)„³ Kawaguchiko ¡V(Highway Bus)„³ Shinjuku

Also, if I would like to tour the five lakes, go to Fujikyu Highland and also to Fujiyoshida, which is the best pass I should get?

Thank you!
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread