Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sumiyoshi Taisha 2009/7/16 23:27
I've got 2 days planned in Osaka and I'm wondering if I should bother with visiting Sumiyoshi Taisha? I was as much interested in a journey on the tram as the shrine itself, but from what I can gather Osaka trams are just buses on rail-lines? I was expecting a touristy experience like the ones in San Francisco? Is the shrine itself worth the journey? I'll have just come from 7 days in Kyoto and pretty much engorged on shrines and temples, so is there anything particulary compelling at Sumiyshoi?

Niether day lends itself easily to a trip from Ebisucho on the tram, and I wonder if it's worth the effort of a fairly lengthy detour?
by mgal  

... 2009/7/17 09:18
The tram to Sumiyoshi is certainly not a bus! It is a regular tram, but nothing like the San Francisco Cablecar. More details and a photo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hankai_Uemachi_Line

Sumiyoshi is a beautiful shrine and a very important shrine. However, this importance might not be obvious to the average visitor without a special interest in Shinto. It might not be worth the detour unless you have a special interest in shrines.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/17 15:39
Thanks, Uji. I'll probably pass on it, so, unless I find myself in the area and with bags of time.

(PS Looks like a bus on rails to me :) )
by mgal rate this post as useful

reply to this thread