Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working holiday visa dual citizenship 2009/7/17 12:14
I am both a British and Australian citizen. Is it possible for me to get another working holiday visa with my other passport when the current visa expires?
by Henners (guest)  

Possibly 2009/7/17 16:40
Possibly. Plus, the Japanese have been known to grant TWO working holiday visas to the same person on the same passport - may not be publicised, but can't hurt asking.

And before anyone shoots me down - I make that statement from personal experience.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Passports 2009/7/17 17:09
You should have 2 passports then, right?
You can apply for each of them with out them even knowing.
by DES (guest) rate this post as useful

fingerprint records? 2009/7/17 17:19
Just wondering if this is something that would turn up under the new airport Immigration fingerprinting system...

Do they keep records of people who have entered Japan previously? If they do, things could get tricky at Immigration if they were being strict about "one person, one WHV".

I have no idea whether this is the case or not, just something to consider perhaps.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

probably not the case 2009/7/17 17:52
In response to Sira's comment, I would suspect that this isn't the case as the processing time to compare each set of new fingerprints taken at immigration against all fingerprints ever taken would be way longer than the few minutes that is spent per passenger.

Rather, the new fingerprints are likely compared to just the relatively small database of known visa violators, interpol fugitives, terrorist watchlists, etc.

So I would suspect that at this time the fingerprinting system may not be an obstacle to this situation. Then again I'm no expert and there's no telling what the system is capable of.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Example 2009/7/17 20:35
A friend of mine has dual citizen ship.

both amarican and canadian.
He visited Japan frequent on his Amarican pasport (not eligeble for working holliday)
and he did so also after leaving a pic and fingerprint on at the airport customs as we al have to do nowadays.

Hey aplied for a working holliday visa on his canadian pasport and had no problem getting one , also no problems at customs.

THE ONLY PROBLEM HE HAD
was when he applied for the workin holliday visa.
He had to go to canada for an interview at the Japanese embasy ..

by Tinyworld (guest) rate this post as useful

Sira 2009/7/17 20:44
Sira is actually spot on. You will get picked up before being granted entry the second time. It is one person one WHV regardless of nationality.
Not sure about on here but this question does come up every so often.
During the application process your nationality isnt checked, you get granted as long as you meet the requirements.
What is checked is who you are when you land.
Your new visa is scanned into the IMEC system to register you landing and to check the visa is valid. Then you are required to give up your fingerprint and photograph - this is where their system will sound warning bells. It's not the fact you are a dual citizen, that's common and wouldn't be questioned. It's the fact you would be attempting to use a visa you are only permitted to apply for once.
The new system simply wouldn't allow for it.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Clarify 2009/7/17 20:46
It is one person one WHV regardless of nationality

That didn't sound right, what I meant is as long as you are eligible for it, the visa is granted once to you as a person.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread