Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Housing and transportation costs 2009/7/21 18:53
I will move to Tokyo for a 6 months language course and are now looking for a place to stay. Which is the relation between housing and transportation costs? It is more convenient to live in a house far from the school (which is located in Shibuya) and pay lower rent but high rail pass or closer? Do you know any websites showing costs for commuter passes? I have seen on Tokyo metro website the costs for passes valid on all their lines, but if I want to know the cost from my house to Shibuya and if the journey includes Metro+JR for example?
Thank you in advance for your help!
by Moorea (guest)  

... 2009/7/21 19:35
Which is the relation between housing and transportation costs?

You have to make the calculation case by case. If your company covers all or part of commuter expenses, basing yourself outside of the center might be particularly advantageous.

Do you know any websites showing costs for commuter passes?

Commuter passes in Japan are good for a specific route rather than for an area. As a rule of thumb, a 1-month pass costs about the same as 15 round trips, I believe.

As a rule of thumb,

I have seen on Tokyo metro website the costs for passes valid on all their lines, but if I want to know the cost from my house to Shibuya and if the journey includes Metro+JR for example?
Thank you in advance for your help!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji 2009/7/21 20:33
Thank you Uji, but I will go there on a pre college student visa, therefore I will have to pay for the transportation. It is more conveniente to search for a house on a line direct to Shibuya or one where you have to switch for another line?
by Moorea (guest) rate this post as useful

case by case 2009/7/21 21:26
Of course it is more convenient to be on the same line as Shibuya station.

Prices go down as you get further away from the centre and as the apartment gets further from the station. Older buildings are also considerably cheaper than newer buildings.

There is no general formula for this, you will have to look at thew costs involved for each situation.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Express stops 2009/7/21 22:21
You may also want to consider if the station you will be living near is one of the stops on a commuter express train. During main commute hours I can tell you its been very convenient for me to be on one of those stops, as opposed to the ones that are passed over. I don't know of a website that shows this info. Anyone?
by SuicaLove rate this post as useful

Thank you everybody! 2009/7/22 16:23
SuicaLove: thanks for the information! I was asking if anyone knows which website can give this information, also regarding costs of commuter passes.
by Moorea (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread