Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan 2009/7/22 07:46
I will be completing a diploma program for Pastry Arts in about a year. I would love to travel around the world on a working-holiday visa and learn about all the different styles and techniques, especially in Japan.

I know you need a diploma to even be considered for any type of working holiday visa, but I was wondering if a pastry diploma counts? Or does it have to be a type of Undergraduate Bachelors degree?

Thank you for any information :)
by TJD  

As far as I know 2009/7/22 10:16
- For a full "working visa," you would need a bachelor's degree as educational background. I do not know what kind of college/university your course is held at, so I cannot tell if your diploma sufficies. Or in professions such as chef, many years of experience in that field would be required (instead of a bachelor's degree).

- For "working HOLIDAY visa," you do not need a degree - there is a limited number of countries with which Japan has this agreement, I believe Canada is one of them. There are some other conditions such as age, the country of residence immediately before applying for this WHV, and maximum period of one year.

If you want to come to Japan, maybe attend a culinary school, and maybe pick up some part-time work on the side to help with the tuition and travel/living expenses, you should go for this WHV.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/22 10:18
It depends on if your country has a working holiday visa agreement with Japan. Otherwise, a bachelors degree or 10 years experience on the average is necessary to get a working visa.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you! 2009/7/23 05:00
Okay, thank you for the info! I'm from Canada so it turns out I don't need any post-secondary schooling for a WHV. I will be receiving a pastry arts diploma from a private school, but since that won't really play a part in me getting a WHV I guess it won't matter that much :)

Thanks again! I'm already excited for the day that I get to do this!
by TJD rate this post as useful

reply to this thread