Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itami Airport 2009/7/22 07:52
I'm going to be going on an exchange trip this fall and will most likely be staying with a host family for a year.

I'm flying into Itami airport and will need to find a way to get my luggage to the host family's house.

I'm coming over a day early because of difficulties with air miles. I have already booked a hotel for the night in Osaka, so there is just the matter of getting to the hotel which isn't too far. I could either take a cab or use the trains. If I have luggage though, the trains would be too difficult...and I'll have to meet up with school representatives the next day. I'm not sure where that would be and going on the trains with luggage would not be an option.... and a cab ride could potentially kill my wallet.

I was thinking about using the Takuhaibin service to mail my luggage to my host family's house and just holding onto my carry on bag (which will be a small bag/backpack) for the trains, etc.

The only problem I'm running across is: (1) I am not sure if it would be a pain for my host family (and I do not know who they are yet), my flight is later at night but it could still end up getting to their home before I do, and, (2) I am not sure if the Takuhaibin service is available at Itami airport.

I know it is at KIX but.. I can't change the booking. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
by amaraB  

. 2009/7/22 10:14
How many pieces of luggage are you talking about? More than two? I think if you have too many pieces of luggage, a taxi would be the best way to go. I know they are expensive but it could save you a lot of problems with your host family.

When I went to Japan, I had two big suitcases with me and the Japanese representatives for my company thoughtI was crazy. I was going to be living there for three years and because of my size I couldn't buy clothing in Japan so I had to bring all my clothes with me. Japan wasn't made for people to bring a lot of luggage.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks for the response! 2009/7/22 10:46
I was thinking one large one... I'm going to have a few trial runs with packing. At most I'd take a large one and then a medium sized one (for the host family gifts and stuff that would make the other too heavy) with some extra room so I don't go over the weight limit.

I definitely don't want to overpack and end up being a nuisance. It is hard planning ahead because I'm not sure who my host family is yet and how far away they live. Someone from my host school is going to meet me on the 6th...I'm waiting for an email to tell me where though.
by amaraB rate this post as useful

suit case okay 2009/7/22 15:03
Suitcases on the train are no problem. If it's during commute hours it's a little more difficult but still doable. I travel to Japan a couple of times a year and I alwasy bring 2 large suit cases. Just make sure they are the wheeled type, so easier to move around. A TAxi from kix would not be very cheap.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Thank you :) 2009/7/22 15:08
I'm actually coming from Itami Airport and the hotel I'm staying at is only 30 minutes by car (according to google). I'm just worried about being able to juggle the bags...they'd have wheels but it might be difficult for me to use the trains.

Do you know if the takuhaibin service is at Itami airport, by chance?

Thank you for your help!
by amaraB rate this post as useful

Should be possible 2009/7/30 00:10
I would be surprised if the service was not available at Itami; either Kuro Neko or Pelican Bin or both are found in most airports around Japan. With either service, you can specify the date of delivery of your cases, often down to the time of day when they will be delivered. This may help you to arrange for your bags to be delivered after you have arrived. The may be a slight charge for long delays, however.
by Spikey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itami 2009/7/30 00:52
You did not mention where in Osaka your hotel was put the bus may be a good alternative.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2433.html

http://www.okkbus.co.jp/eng/index.html

Cheers,

George
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread