Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt. Fuji July 29th or 30th night vs Day 2009/7/23 18:36
Hello,

We are planning on hiking Mt. Fuji on July 29th or 30th. I was reading that many people opt to hike at night to make summit for sunrise. I would like to know the Pro's and Con's of hiking during the day vs hiking at night.

If we decide to go during the DAY what time is recommended to arrive at the 5th station?

If we decide to go during the NIGHT what time is recommended to arrive at the 5th station?

If we go over night what time should we leave if we want to ''power nap'' at the top?

We are shinkansening across japan and are not carrying much. Is there anything special we should bring if we hike at night? (other than a flashlight)

And what is the temperature like currently at the summit overnight?

Is it still freezing temps?

And lastly would anyone want to join us?

Thanks in advance
Cameron & Lindsey
by Cameron (guest)  

Day or Night? 2009/7/24 01:23
My husband and I opted to do the day hike on July 1st this year. We got to the 5th station around 7:30am. (We rented a car so we wouldn't have to worry about time!) It was 7.5 hours up and then 5 hours back down due to the high winds and the "easier" trail being closed due to snow. We had to come down the same trail we went up! Would I recommend it? No. That's probably the toughest way to do Fuji! It was nice being light most of the time but it was dark about the last half of the return and we used headlamps. The altitude difference does make you breathless and slower. At least it did us being from the Ohio Valley, US! Some people can really get a bad case of altitude sickness and a day hike certainly doesn't allow much time to adjust. Since we didn't do the night hike, can't really advise you on that. You just need to know your limits and what your body is capable of doing! Good luck!
by Lee Ann (guest) rate this post as useful

Fuji- take warm clothes 2009/7/24 09:34
There is not really anywhere to "power nap" on the top of the mountain- if you want to sleep you will have to look at booking into one of the mountain huts at the 8th station.

You most definitely need warm gear- it is likely to be around 0 deg C at the top of the mountain, and with wind chill it will feel colder- many people make the mistake of climbing in the clothes they were wearing at the bottom of the mountain, but this is dangerous.

It is also a good idea to take a waterproof jacket and pants, as it often rains, and wet clothes are a common cause of hypothermia when on mountains.

It is always near freezing at the top of Fuji in summer- it is 3,776m high, so doesn't get very warm.

You might want to buy a can of oxygen- helps a lot with the headaches and breathlessness from the altitude, and they are available from the convenience stores near Kawaguchi-ko station.

Also adequate food and drinks- you can buy things like noodles and canned drinks even at the summit, but they are pretty expensive- about triple normal prices.

I have climbed at night twice without stopping to sleep anywhere (I would never have been able to sleep in those noisy huts anyway), and departed the 5th station around 9-9.30pm both times.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/24 10:18
A friend of mine did the climb just last week, and he says it took him 8.5 hours up (including one hour nap at 8th station hut), and 3 hours down the eary trail, between the 5th station and the summit. Starting off from 5th, it was still "hiking," but from 8th, it was more like hanging onto rocks and pulling yourself up at some places, he says.

To avoid the crowd (most people aim to reach the top around 4 o'clock aiming for the sunrise, so there can be a queue), he left the 5th station a bit early at 18:40, and got to the top at 3:00. Sunrise was at 4.30.

There was snow at the summit and it was freezing cold up there.

Guidebooks seem to say you can start from 5th station at 21:00, but I would say this is IF you are really fit and used to climbing :)
by AK rate this post as useful

climbing fuji 2009/7/24 10:56
I've climbed fuji both during the day and during the night and I would definitely recommend climbing at night. The biggest reason is that the sunrise is spectacular and adds another sense of accomplishment to the climb.

If we decide to go during the DAY what time is recommended to arrive at the 5th station?

As early as possible is best. You'll want to do as much of the climb in the cooler morning hours, and then you'll have much better return options when you get back to the 5th station.

If we decide to go during the NIGHT what time is recommended to arrive at the 5th station?

It depends on what your hiking strength is but I'd say around 9 is a good time. You don't want to start too early as you'll freeze waiting around for the sunrise, and don't go too late for obvious reasons.

If we go over night what time should we leave if we want to ''power nap'' at the top?

You don't want to power nap at the top. Usually you nap at one of the stations along the trail. You can make reservations beforehand, but many huts let you sit inside for around 30 minutes for 1000 yen or so. Nothing is free on the mountain, but sometimes you CAN put a price on a respite from the wind! The top is super crowded and windy and you should time your arrival to be just before sunrise.

We are shinkansening across japan and are not carrying much. Is there anything special we should bring if we hike at night? (other than a flashlight)

Sturdy shoes. Lt hiking boots at a minimum. Warm clothes and a windbreaker or rainshell. Its super cold and super windy at the top. Probably minus degrees with the windchill.

And what is the temperature like currently at the summit overnight?

Is it still freezing temps?

I don't know, but when I went in September I was sooooo cold despite a rainshell, and 2 medium thermal layers underneath. I usually run hot and I was still freezing. It was mostly due to the wind I think, and my backpack (which was not light) almost blew away when I set it down at the top.

from 8th, it was more like hanging onto rocks and pulling yourself up at some places, he says.

I find this a little misleading about the difficulty. Its more like steep stairs than rock climbing. I found this pic on the web that illustrates the maximum difficulty of the trail pretty well.

http://www.walkweb.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mt-fu...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/24 16:12
yllwsmrf,

I find this a little misleading about the difficulty. Its more like steep stairs than rock climbing.

Thank you for clearing that up - my friend is not-very-fit guy in his 40s, so that's what it must have felt like to him lol. Also the hours he needed reflects that :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Warning 2009/7/24 21:34
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/24 23:09
Sorry to interrupt. If we are just going to the 5th station in end Aug, I supposed we do not have to dress in warm clothing? Just normal will do?
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/25 06:52
The 5th Station is around 2300 meters. It does not get freezing cold, but it is considerably cooler than at the base, especially when it is windy and the sun is not shining. For shorts and t-shirts it is probably a little bit chilly. Right now (6am), it is only 4 degrees!
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/25 11:27
Thank you Uji!
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread