Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

lonely beaches near Tokyo/Saitama 2009/7/23 21:10
Hey out there.

I am goin to stay for a while in Higashimatsuyama/ Saitama Prefecture and maybe somebody of you have got an advice or some experiences with good beaches.
I have to say that I don't really like those crowded beaches, so if somebody knows a good place for swimming and relaxing please could you tell me?

Thank you in advance!
by MatGER  

wrong place for lonely beaches 2009/7/24 12:06
Saitama is landlocked, so you will have to travel quite a way for beaches. I am afraid that with a population of 30 million, Greater Tokyo is the wrong place to come for lonely beaches in any case. You would have to travel a long way from Saitama (i.e. at least an overnight stay) to find one in summer.

From Saitama, your best bet would be the beaches on the coast of Chiba like Onjuku or Kujukuri beach, but there will be plenty of other people there, especially on the weekends.

The only lonely beach I have been to in Japan was on the northwest coast of Ishigaki island in the south of Okinawa prefecture, three hours flight from Tokyo.

Nowhere near Tokyo comes even close to qualifiying.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Secret places 2009/7/24 12:30
You can't really expect "lonely" beaches in July/August, but the less crowded beaches are located here and there at inconvenient places. In other words, if you ride the train way down peninsulas and then change to a bus of some sort, it often takes you to the less crowded ones. One of my favorite is Aburatsubo area, but I'm sure there are some in Sotoura or Ibaraki as well.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

take your chances 2009/8/1 09:18
Again, this is not close to Saitama, but yesterday afternoon we went to Morito-kaigan in Hayama, which is known to be one of the most popular beaches for young adults, and to my surprize there were very few people even at the main beach. We walked a bit further down to a pebble beach and there was even a moment where we were all by ourselves for about 30 minutes, with clear calm see and lots of pretty fish once we peeked with goggles.

Perhaps it was because it was a weekday and because it was raining in the morning and cloudy all day except for that couple of hours in the afternoon when it was perfectly sunny and warm.

After enjoying a cloudy sunset, we had some good food and cocktails at a hut where locals would come see our friends perform. It was a nice day to start a cloudy weekend.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread