Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to book Highway Bus ticket 2009/7/24 00:32
I am trying to book the bus ticket to the 5th station but cannot get pass the signing in page. I selected dates, seats, stations but next step seems to ask for names in Katakana?
Can someone help, or is there any english site or travel agent which can book the tickets?
Also pls advise if the Fujiyoshida is 富士吉田.

I will be going from Shinjuku to 5th station, then back to Shinjuku from Fujiyoshida.

I am not keen on tours as most of them include Hakone which I have been to before, and I would like to stay in Fujiyoshida till evening.

Thank you.
by Apple76  

... 2009/7/24 10:16
I selected dates, seats, stations but next step seems to ask for names in Katakana?

Don't you know your name in katakana? Or can't you enter it?

or is there any english site or travel agent which can book the tickets?

Not for the buses to the 5th Stations, I believe.

Also pls advise if the Fujiyoshida is 富士吉田.

Yes, it is.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/24 10:20
Hi Uji

I don't know my name in Katakana because I am not from Japan. I tried to key in my name in Kanji but not able to. Is there any way?
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/24 10:21
Any name can be written in katakana. If you do not mind publishing your real name onto the internet, somebody could probably write it into katakana.

. 2009/7/24 10:23
Hi Uji

This is for logging in purpose only right? My name is Apple Ng, but will they also ask for password in Katanakan?
Also the phone number, it was stated need to be starting with 9-11? can I know is that local phone number?

... 2009/7/24 10:54
I have never used it personally, but I think your name could be used to identify yourself when picking up the tickets. I am not sure. The kana version of your name depends on the pronunciation of your name. Because I am not sure about it, I cannot write it in kana. Maybe somebody else can. Or you could try to explain how to pronounce you name.

As for the phone number, they don't mention it explicitly, but I think that the phone number is supposed to be a Japanese phone number. You could try enter your home country's number, or if it does not work, I think it would be okay to use your hotel's phone number.

. 2009/7/24 23:31
Thanks Uji.

I guess I better think of other ways, or only get the tickets when I'm there which I worried might be sold out. Tried asking our hotel but they can't help.

Can you tell me how is the payment online, is it by credit card?

... 2009/7/25 06:55
You can pay at the bus terminal in person, by credit card or at convenience stores in Japan. I believe that payments must be made until 30 minutes before the departure of the bus.

. 2009/7/25 11:23
Hi Uji, just to clarify...u mean the reservation can be done online, and the payment can be made when I arrive in Japan?

... 2009/7/26 09:54
Yes, I think so, but I am not entirely sure.

willers 2009/7/26 11:12
have u tried willers group buses?

http://travel.willer.co.jp/bus/pc/3/top/;jsessionid=1445B0D294BCBF52DD5ECA0AAD19A4D5.ap22bus2

its in english.
I used to book through 123bus(now part of willers) and even though it asked for katakana before i sort of put a name i thought was correct but wasnt sure. They don't really ID you when you go on the bus anyway, so long as you put a name that you can identify yourself when they read it, all is good.

cheers
by sonny (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/26 14:01
Willers does not operate buses to Kawaguchiko 5th Station.

Other ways: If time permits. 2009/7/27 04:46
: I guess I better think of other ways

According to your post in another thread, you will have two days in Japan before your travel, is that right? If so, your options (to book your busses) may include:
- booking them on the phone: 0555-72-5111 (07:30 - 18:30 by Japan Standard Time)
Maybe you can book them at a highway bus terminal west of JR Shinjuku Sta., but I'm not sure; I just say that's worth trying.

: I will be going from Shinjuku to 5th station

But.... Your latest itinerary says "Lake Kawaguchi via Retro bus."
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?2+6...
The Retro Buses are available from 河口湖駅 [Kawaguchiko Sta.] Bus Stop,
not from富士山五合目 Bus Stop for Kawaguchiko 5th Station of Mt. Fuji.
http://www.fujisan.ne.jp/access/retrobus_K_e.php
From Kawaguchiko Sta., you can go to Fujiyoshida Sta. within 10 minutes by train.
http://www.fujikyu-railway.jp/forms/info/info.aspx?info...

: the payment can be made when I arrive in Japan

It seems so. According to this page in Japanese, as to your bus line, after you applied for your busses you have to purchase your tickets by 10 minutes before the departure.
http://www.fujikyu.co.jp/bus/highway/attention.html

: next step seems to ask for names in Katakana?

A highway bus booking site in Japanese I know requires a membership (free from fee), and to gain the membership a person has to register some personal info and to OK agreements written in Japanese. Maybe the same applies to the site you have tried.

: which I worried might be sold out

Requests on seat locations are not allowed for when you book your busses. An international phone call for booking them may be an option (+81-555-72-5111).
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223_how.html

Also trains are available between Shinjuku Sta. and Fujiyoshida Sta. / Kawaguchiko Sta. One-day fare tickets for the trains are sold at Shinjuku Sta. of JR.
Shinjuku -- [JR Rapid] (-- Takao -- [JR Local]) -- Otsuki -- [Fujikyu] -- Fujiyoshida / Kawaguchiko
If you choose Ltd. Express service for the JR Chuo Line section (between Shinjuku and Otsuki), probably you can book its seats and pay for them from abroad. (Some credit card brands are acceptable.) And, if you purchase your bus tickets two days before the train departure, on that day cancellation of your Ltd. Express seats can be done via Internet without fees. You have to pick up your Ltd. Express tickets by the night before the train departure.
http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/eng...

//

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/27 08:14
Hi omotenashi

Thank you for all the info.

I will arrive 3 days before going to the 5th station so I can actually buy the bus stations at Shinjuku when I arrive but I hope to get it early to avoid disappointment since it’s the last day of the climber season. I am not sure how popular the seats are on the last day.

Understand the retro bus is only for touring Lake Kawaguchiko and Lake Sai. We intend to travel to Kawaguchiko 5th station in the morning, then bus down to Kawaguchiko and tour the area with retro bus, then train to Fujiyoshida for the fire festival. Evening time bus back to Shinjuku.

I am trying to get bus tickets instead of train as no transfer involved but the train will be our alternative.

Re: 2009/7/27 18:10
Hello Apple,

I climbed Mt. Fuji on 15-16 July, 09. You can call to the ticket office to reserve the bus ticket. When you are in Tokyo, visit the bus station to get the ticket and pay. You better reserve the ticket in advance.

Gary Wong
by gwong rate this post as useful

reply to this thread