Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

WGU Online degree for visa? 2009/7/25 04:04
I'm thinking of attending Western Governors University to get an IT degree. It's a fully accredited school and everything but they have no campus. Its online only. I've done some searching around the forums but they lack the info I'm looking for.

How can I find out if Japanese immigration will accept a degree from this school? I read somewhere that in order for them to accept it the school needs to have a real "brick and mortar campus".

For a little background the reason I want to attend WGU is because it's online which works for me, and they charge a flat rate for the semester instead of by the unit, which is better for me. They appear to be fully accredited and actually require you to really study (which is obviously what I want). I've read about people graduating and getting jobs with degrees from there, but will I be able to get a work visa in Japan with a 4y degree from wgu?
by gotojapanman  

. 2009/7/25 09:02
I would've thought a degree is a degree (as long as accredited). There are many people studying distance education nowdays from reputable institutions. I doubt Japanese immigration have a list of institutions that are "in" or "out".

If you are worried yourself about this institution, then obviously more care is needed before paying money - but you already know that. ;)
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Immigration List 2009/7/25 09:17
I'd be very surprised if Japan immigration did not have a list of accredited institutions of learning. The UK does, and that list was recently seriously revised down by around 80%, I believe I can't imagine Japan being an easy pushover in such matters.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

accreditation 2009/7/25 13:24
Who the accreditation body is is the most important, and accreditation means nothing unless the reviewing body is approved by the US Department of Education. In this case, WGU states that they are accredited by the Northwestern Commission on Colleges and Universities which is a recognized accreditation agency of the Dept of Education. Based on that I would say that a bachelor's degree from them would satisfy the Japanese visa requirement, however I am no expert and I would contact your local embassy for a more definitive answer.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread