Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ferry Hiroshima to Busan (Korea) 2009/7/26 16:02
Hi there

I am looking to travel from Hiroshima to Busan via Train/Ferry.

I noticed that the ferry departure is from Shimonoseki and looked up the train fare from Hiroshima to Shimonoseki and it is quite pricey.

I then found this website:

http://www.seat61.com/SouthKorea.htm

Which led me to here:

http://www.louiserouse.com/blog/downloads/japan-korea-t...

This website is translated directly from:

http://www.doconavi.com/kippu/jikoku1/japan-korea/index...

My understanding is that I can pay Y15,480 which includes the train from Hiroshima to Shimonoseki, and then catch the ferry from Shimonoseki to Busan. Is this correct and the most cost effective??

Also, I am unsure where I can buy this ticket - should I just wait til I go to Japan to buy this/so I will only be able to purchase it 1-2 weeks in advance...?

Thanks!
by cheesammii  

... 2009/7/26 21:44
My understanding is that I can pay Y15,480 which includes the train from Hiroshima to Shimonoseki, and then catch the ferry from Shimonoseki to Busan. Is this correct and the most cost effective??

Yes, that is correct. In case you are planning to continue to Seoul, note that Asiana Airlines operates flights from Hiroshima Airport to Seoul. It could be cheaper.

Also, I am unsure where I can buy this ticket - should I just wait til I go to Japan to buy this/so I will only be able to purchase it 1-2 weeks in advance...?

It is only available in Japan (which is the simple reason why traveller Wendy Bishop was not able to use it). It can be purchased from one month in advance until just before departure.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Great - where can I buy this? 2009/7/27 08:05
Thanks so much Uji.

Do you think this is the most cost effective way? I guess the ferry ticket by itself costs Y9,000 already - and I checked Hypedia (Hiroshima to Shimonoseki is around Y7,500) - so it works out okay.

Okay that's fine. I will buy the ticket in Japan then - just another question - where can I buy this ticket? At any particular train station??

by cheesammii rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/27 08:12
The one for departure from Hiroshima can be purchased at travel agencies in the Hiroshima area.

Okay to purchase the day before? 2009/7/27 08:21
Hi Uji

Thanks for the quick reply.

We will only be in Hiroshima the day before we wish to travel on the ferry.

Is it okay to purchase this ticket so late - as in, will there definitely be seats available?

THANKS!

... 2009/7/27 08:30
No, I was wrong when I mentioned earlier that it can be purchase even on the day of travel. That is not true. When you take the ferry from Shimonoseki, the ticket has to be purchased at lest two days before departure (7 days in advance if you use the jetfoil from Fukuoka).

I am not 100% sure but I think that the ticket can be bought at travel agents not only in the Hiroshima area, but probably also in the Osaka area. Maybe even in other areas of Japan. Agents to check out are the travel agency of JR West (to be found at major stations in the JR West service area), Kinki Nippon Tourist and JTB.

... 2009/7/27 08:32
The name of the ticket in Japanese is Nikkan Kyodo Kippu (日韓共同きっぷ).

Nikkan Kyodo Kippu 2009/7/27 08:52
I googled "Nikkan Kyodo Kippu" and found this:

http://www.seejapan.co.uk/plan/transportation/inter_fer...

The Nikkan Kyodo Kippu is a discount ticket allowing passengers on either the Kampu Ferry service from Shimonoseki, or the JR Kyushu 'Beetle' service from Fukuoka, to travel between a number of Japanese cities and Seoul, Korea at a significantly reduced fare. Prices for the ticket vary according to the city of departure and include travel by JR train (including the Bullet Train) to the port of departure, travel by ferry or jetfoil to Busan, and rail travel from Busan to Seoul within Korea. The Nikkan Kyodo Kippu is valid for 7-days one way and is available within Japan from major travel agencies and at JR Travel Centres in major JR railway stations.

Doesn't say how much it costs but hopefully it's the same as above....?

reply to this thread