Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does this commerical appear in Japan 2009/7/26 23:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxBSjno4lI

as this advert is in England
by Abhi B  

Oasis 2009/7/27 08:27
I've never seen it, and I haven't seen that brand of drinks in any stores either- funny though!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/27 09:18
Me neither.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/27 10:22
I thought it was very funny. The one thing I noticed though is that the people are wearing shoes in the house, this is very un-Japanese.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Good effort 2009/7/27 11:46
Definitely one of the better attempts at creating a pseudo-Japanese advert I have seen, but as mentioned above, the shoes on tatami is a real giveaway that this is not really Japanese. Presumably it was created by someone whose vision of Japan is derived from 1970s monster movies.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Haven't seen the ad in Jpn but it's... 2009/7/27 16:03
Neat! Actually, I didn't think the shoes are odd at all.

The young girls are wearing shoes because they are part of their si-fi costumes. They're either from outer space or superheros and need to be ''in uniform'' in order to fully use their special skills. I mean, who has seen Japanese superheroes with shoes off!

The older two are wearing shoes because they just barged in. In Japanese we call this ''do-soku de fumikomu (barge into one's private teritory with dirty shoes on). One of the most rude things you can do to people.

If you look carefully, however, you will notice that the tatami is not laid out in it's proper pattern, and that the door is not the type you'd typically see in a tatami-laid room. But then, this ''university'' is probably set in the future which explains all the slightly-off customs.

The only un-Japanese part of the ad is the older lady's intonation. She clearly is not a native Japanese speaker, which may have been deliberate.

I wish I could see the girls' shirts more clearly. I would be very interested in reading what the all-hiragana logo on it says.

All in all, I think this is an extremely well-made parody of everything Showa-era, that probably the best Japanese ad directors would have made. You see a lot of these type of scenes on Sunday morning superhero TV shows.

Applause!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Who are the girls? 2009/7/28 11:10
It's me again. Since the ad was so great I shared it with my (J) husband who found other footage of these characters. We're just curious. Who are these girls? In real life, I mean. They are so native. Are they originally some kind of exchange students in the UK? Fun stuff!

Those shirts 2009/7/28 11:30
Uco wrote:

I wish I could see the girls' shirts more clearly. I would be very interested in reading what the all-hiragana logo on it says.

It looks to me like "‚¸‚Á‚Æ‚³‚Ú‚Ä‚ñ‚«‚Á" followed by maybe "‚Ç" and more I can't quite make out.

by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/7/28 12:09
Dave in Saitama wrote;

It looks to me like "‚¸‚Á‚Æ‚³‚Ú‚Ä‚ñ‚«‚Á" followed by maybe "‚Ç" and more I can't quite make out.

Thank you, that is funny! I thought the last letters could be ‚·‚«, so it could be ‚¸‚Á‚Æ‚³‚Ú‚Ä‚ñ‚«‚Á‚Æ‚·‚« which is so odd that it's entertaining. But somehow it sounds familiar. I wonder if it was a part of an old song or something.

. 2009/7/28 12:48
Uco san, these girls are Japanese. Here is a video I found of them on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptdugB_NCog

Inspirational 2009/7/28 13:33
I had no idea from watching the commercial that these girls were handicapped. It's always inspirational to see people overcome such adversity. Good for them!

. 2009/7/28 14:29
Hi .,

Yes, apparently they are Japanese, but I was wondering how they ended up in a UK ad. Also, what made you think they're "handicapped"?

. 2009/7/28 16:12
I only brought up their handicapped situation because I thought it was quite obvious. I don't feel comfortable discussing it. Maybe I should've never mentioned it, sorry.

. 2009/7/28 22:51
Uco san,
Ad agencies can hire anywhere to have commercials done. Since they wanted this to be like Godzilla, they cast it and filmed it in Japan.
I was in many Japanese commercials and movies a long time ago. Since they wanted Cowboys, they came to Arizona and that's how I got the jobs.
by Other guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/7/28 23:06
Other guest,

Thank you. I suppose they are registered in some agency since they seem quite professional. I was just wondering if anyone knew who they really were. Names and profile or any backstage stories. No big deal. Just interested. Thanks anyway.

handicapped 2009/7/29 11:31
Also, what made you think they're "handicapped"?

Uco, they're not handicapped, its just .(guest)'s poor attempt at humor. You have been trolled.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

I guess you're right 2009/7/29 12:30
Thanks, yllwsmrf.

reply to this thread