Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Overnight trip to Kyoto 2009/7/28 07:46
I will be visiting Japan for the first time at the end of the summer. I will be staying around ten days with the bulk of my time in Tokyo, but I would like to make an overnight trip to Kyoto. I am thinking of leaving Tokyo early and spending the day in Kyoto, staying overning in a ryokan, a little more time the next day in Kyoto, a short trip to Nara, then back to Tokyo from Nara. I have a few questions. 1) Does this idea seem plausible? 2) Any suggestions of a nice but affordable ryokan? I have a more western style hotel in Tokyo and would like to spend a night a little more traditionally. However, I'm still pretty American when it comes to having a private bathroom. 3) Suggestions on places to see in Kyoto? Thanks!
by PChee1  

... 2009/7/28 09:03
Does this idea seem plausible?

It is possible. Whether it is enjoyable or not depends on your personally preferred travel style.

Kyoto has enough sites for a week. So, if you allocate only 24 hours, you will obviously be able to see just the surface. If that is okay, go ahead.

A visit to Nara adds another 2 hours on the train for a total of 8 hours on the train during your two days. Unless you are the type of traveler who prefers seeing many cities on the surface over a few cities in detail, I strongly recommend to drop Nara.

Suggestions on places to see in Kyoto?

Here you go:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Voting for Kyoto 2009/7/28 12:30
Just got back from Tokyo-Kyoto, I spent 3 full days in Kyoto and still felt not enough. If you only have 24 hours, like Uji, I suggest leave Nara out and stay in Kyoto. And try to stay in ONE area instead of going all over town. This is a sample itinerary:

Depart Tokyo at 7:40
Arrive Kyoto at 10:00
Drop bags at Ryokan (I stayed at Ryokan Rikiya, Higashiyama area )
Nijojo
Kiyomizu Ji
Sansenzaka
Ninenzaka
Gion Kobu

Next day, I walked north from my Ryokan to:
1. Kodaiji
2. Ryozen Kannon
3. Ishibe Koji
4. Maruyana Park
5. Chion-In
6. Konchi-In
7. Nanzen-In
8. Massage (yes, I managed to have a massage by the Duck River)
9. Sanjusangendo

3rd day
1. Yasaka Shrine
2. Kinkakuji
3. Kinukake-no-michi Road
4. Ryoanji
5. Ohara
6. Yase
7. Cable car - Hiei Sanjo
8. Fushimiinari- Taisha Shrine
9. Kayogama

Be prepared for a lot of walking. Buses are pretty easy, but I used taxi too. Not cheap but OK for short distance.

Having been to Japan 3 times, Kyoto is definitely my favorite now.
by innov8 rate this post as useful

I could drop Nara 2009/7/29 12:14
Unfortunately I have commitments in Tokyo that will not allow me to spend more time in Kyoto, so two days will have to do.

Perhaps I will drop Nara. I wanted to go for the Light Up Promenade they have, the pictures looked so beautiful.

I was just wondering of any sights besides the usual ones on travel sites anyone had come across, even just a fantastic shop or restaurant. For example, someone on another sight suggested I check out the Nishin Textile Center where they have kimono fashion shows.
by PChee1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread