Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

food 2009/7/28 14:48
my daughter is going to japan with school program hotels and 3 dqays with a family as a homestay. would it be weird if she brought some kraft macroni and cheese to share it's kinda a staple in our house. do they even eat mac and cheese there?
by linda (guest)  

. 2009/7/28 17:58
Japanese generally speaking are not big fans of cheese, and much of their pasta sauces are "weaker" than western counter parts. But, yeah, sure, it might be interesting to make it for them. Good idea.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

depends on the part of Japan 2009/8/2 18:21
Where in Japan is she staying? You can find McD and other intl/local hamberger chain at every corner in Tokyo, Osaka and other city areas, but she will have hard time finding a fastfood shop if she is going to countryside. People are really so nice in countryside but they will prepare real great local food all for her, so bringing and preparing her own food may be considered impolite. In any case, pasta is really common in Japan and any shop sells it. She can buy it locally if she really needs it.
by Mac3 (guest) rate this post as useful

mac and cheese 2009/8/3 00:21
Do take along some home comforts, but it is really important to eat at least SOME of the local food you are offered. Usually when you go to dinner at a Japanese home there will be several different dishes, so there is sure to be something that you will like. Save the mac and cheese for night 2 or three.
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

mac and cheese 2009/8/3 01:23
shw will be staying at several hotels. she going going with 40 students from local high schools orange county ,california. part of there experiance is staying 3 days with a family. and we were told to bring gifts. i was also told that japenese love to try american items so i thought it was a good idea to bring mac and cheese. we also got lots of disney stuff as thank you gifts
by linda (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/3 01:45
Mac'n'Cheese is fine. But don't expect Japanese to fall in love with it.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

don't do it! 2009/8/3 13:35
kraft mac and cheese? yuck, don't do it! it's an interesting novelty food but it's a bad way to introduce american cuisine to people who might start basing their future opinions on how this kraft instant mac and cheese tastes.

teach your daughter how to make real mac and cheese instead, it tastes waaaaay better, it's almost just as cheap (if not cheaper) and doesn't take much longer.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Other possibilities 2009/8/3 22:00
I agree, Kraft Mac & Cheese might be interesting, but I don't know if it would be that much of a hit. On the subject of food gifts, I've given maple syrup (the real stuff, and I'm from New England so it made sense) before and it was a big hit (pancakes are popular, but most of the syrup is that fakey stuff). Also, a Japanese friend of mine here in Tokyo once did a homestay with an Canadian family and ever since has been dreaming of Quaker's Harvest Crunch. I kid you not, she has a picture she snapped of it as her cellphone wall paper. But maybe that's just her. ;)
by SuicaLove rate this post as useful

idea 2009/8/4 04:31
I'm not sure it's a good idea myself. It may offend the host family if she eats her own food, and I think it may be safe to assume the host family may wish to show some Japanese style foods to her. I'm sure they won't give her anything like natto (fermented soybeans) or something that can be an aquired taste.

Perhaps if she brought along plenty of American snacks and offered to share with the host family, that would be ok. It's just 3 days, I'm sure she will manage with what the host mother prepares. And Japanese do eat plenty of pasta dishes and what not at home :-)
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

pasta not so special 2009/8/4 08:04
I agree, snacks are better to bring than a meal.

There is no shortage of pasta here in Japan, so the family is unlikely to find it that interesting.

Chocolates, cookies, candy etc. that are different from what you can get in Japan would be better.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Yea...no Mac and Cheese... 2009/8/6 22:00
Different snacks are good. I think things like fruit roll ups are interesting and very American. It's a comfort food for me, although it may be too sweet for Japanese tastes. Maybe other cereal bars and rice krispy treats? My girlfriend actually likes the rice krispy treats, although that is very sweet too.

If you need gifts for the host family, think of something that is local to you. I'm from Chicago, so I have no idea what is a popular local thing in Orange County, but that is usually a good gift. For us Chicagoans, it used to be Frango, but it's not very "Chicago" anymore. Oh well.
by bobaab rate this post as useful

reply to this thread