Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Clothes as omiyage and meibutsu? 2009/7/28 14:58
I am a bit embarrassed to say i overshop, probably have well over 50 pieces of clothing new with tag. I am planning to give them away to future friends in japan as omiyage and meibutsu. Most of the clothes are american size 2, 3, xs. Is it a good idea for me to stock up on them in japan for gift-giving purposes? Are most japanese able to fit those sizes? Thx in advance!
by luv2shop (guest)  

not small enough 2009/7/28 20:26
2,3,xs are too big for general japanese. they are more like sz 0 and xxs.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/29 09:15
And I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing the gift you got me specially is: unwanted clothes you already had! Hmmm....
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

? 2009/7/29 12:01
I'm not sure if I understand the situation. Which country did you do the shopping in, and which country are you giving them away in? For example, are you saying you are in the U.S. now and are planning to bring these clothes to Japan to give them away in Japan? Or are you giving them away at the country you bought them in? And what do you mean by "meibutsu (speciality)"?

It's actually common in Japan to give away unwanted items to friends, but the way you do it differs depending on the situation.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

More details 2009/7/29 13:24
Sorry for being too brief.

They are not really "unwanted" clothes. First of all, they have never been worn and still have their tags on. I am pissed that I am now a sz 4, and couldn't wear those clothes I bought ahead and have been looking forward to wear. If I am still a sz 2, I would be wearing them. I did my clothes shopping in the U.S. and plan to give them away in Japan (friends in the U.S. are unlikely to fit a size 2). How likely is it that future friends in Japan are a size 2? I am planning on stocking up if most of them are.

According to my textbook, meibutsu = souvenir (which is what I mean). But I have sometimes found my textbook to be misleading.

Thanks again,
luv2shop
by luv2shop (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/29 17:03
If I understand it correctly, U.S. size XS or 2 is about B32 W24 H34. This is slightly smaller than an average Japanese adult female and slightly bigger than an average Japanese high teen female.

But women's clothing is all about preference, and I wouldn't be so sure if you can make enough friends to give those 50 items away to.

That said, a typical way of giving clothing is to give them the option of not receiving them. For example, you can be honest and say to a friend that you have too many tagged clothes and ask if she would be interested in seeing them. If she likes any of those clothes, you can give it to her. If you feel the need to give anyone souveniors, you can give them a box of candies or something. The clothes would be just something extra.

But if someone in Japan had as many tagged clothing as that, she would probably sell them to a second hand shop. You must be a rich girl.

Btw, "meibutsu" is "speciality" which can often end up as souveniors, but you don't call clothes that unless they're some kind of traditional craftwork.

good idea Uco 2009/7/29 18:40
Wow, I am impressed u know the measurements for a true size 2! Did you live or often go shopping in the U.S.?

Often due to vanity sizing, size 2 is slightly bigger than that (meaning a piece of clothing that is supposed to be a size 4 gets labeled as a "2"). I had no probs fitting into a sz 2 then with W25 H35. Sadly I am an inch wider now so can't fit anymore.

Rich girl? lol, I don't think so. I do spend a lot on clothes but tend to be frugal on other aspects. Also I heard clothes in Japan are much more expensive than in the U.S. so that's why you think I am rich. I have gotten good quality and well-known branded clothes for a mere few bucks.

I have already reduced my stock by selling a portion of them on ebay. I was getting crazy with around 100 new with tag pieces that do not even fit. I plan to bring the remaining 50 to Japan. Whatever doesn't get taken by friends, is it possible to sell/trade them at consignment or 2nd hand shops in Japan?

I know the solution should be to slim down to size 2, did try but was unsuccessful.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion on the word "meibutsu". It's hard to tell whether I use words in the right context when all I need to do for Japanese class is rote memorizing and taking tests.
by luv2shop (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/30 00:05
In general I realize clothes are one of the most difficult things to give as a gift. It would be even more difficult because you don't know these people yet. I would have something else as nice-to-see-you gifts. Once you got to know them, you can mention about your clothes that you would love to give. So, it will be up to them to accept your offer or not.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/30 10:28
Luv2shop wrote;
Wow, I am impressed u know the measurements for a true size 2! Did you live or often go shopping in the U.S.?

No, I searched the internet for measurements, and then converted the centimeters I found into inches. I just hope they are correct.

reply to this thread