Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

if possible 2009/7/29 05:55
me and 3 other friends are visiting japan @ the end of Aug. Have been doing alot of research and questioning myself if it's possible to complete the below itinerary without exhuasting ourselves.

day 1- arrive in Narita, (stay in shinjuku)
day 2- visit tokyo (stay in Shinjuku)
day 3- head to mt fuji (stay at 8th station)
day 4- after watching the sunrise, head to Osaka (stay at Osaka)
day 5- day trip to Kyoto
day 6- Osaka then head back to Shinjuku @ 8pm
day 7 - 9am flight

is it worth to purchase the JR pass because I saw other way of transportation that cost a little more but with more convenience, for example, from Narita to shinjuku, take the limo bus, from shinjuku to mt fuji, take the highway bus? the JR train will have to transfer to buses to get to 5th station.

thanks

by phoebe820  

... 2009/7/29 09:13
Unless you are in bad shape, this should be possible.

A 7-day Japan Rail Pass is probably going to be worth its money even if you do not use JR trains to get to the airport and back. If you do not use the JR airport trains, it is likely to cost about the same or just slightly more than regular tickets would.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Day 7 2009/7/29 09:19
The only advice that I would offer is to go to an airport hotel on the last night. You don't need any drama getting there for a 0900 flight. It's always nice being a 10' shuttle bus ride away when you hear of things going awry on the trains or the highways.....doesn't often happen but it does happen.
by RodW rate this post as useful

If possible 2009/7/29 12:38
You will be in Japan for 7 days and the 7-day JR Rail Pass covers your 7 days. You should get the 7-day JR Rail Pass. Why pay more to ride the Limousine Bus to Shinjuku when you can use the Rail Pass on the Narita Express both ways for no additional cost? Check out NEX's route map, schedules, etc. here http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/index.html .

Going to Narita on NEX gives you only about 1 ½ hours after arrival at Narita before your 9:00am flight but it is doable. Here's the Limousine Bus route and schedule www.limousinebus.co.jp/e/ .

If you plan to ride the Limousine Bus back to Narita, I suggest that on your Arrival at Narita, visit the Limousine Bus counter just as you exit the Baggage Claim area. There, confirm pick-up location in Shinjuku nearest your hotel, scheduled pick-up/departure time and arrival time at Narita. The cost is 30,000 yen one-way.

Your 3rd option is as RodW suggested.
by Harold (guest) rate this post as useful

7-day JR Pass 2009/7/29 13:50
: is it worth to purchase the JR pass

If you take a bus from Kawaguchiko to Kofu (1,430 yen per adult) to take a JR train,
then JR railroad cost until you go back to Shinjuku is estimated at 27,260 yen per adult.
One Narita Express ride makes the cost higher to surpass the price of 7-day JR Pass (28,300 yen per adult).

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

JR pass vs regular tickets 2009/7/29 23:28
thx for all the info, i like the idea of staying at the hotel by the airport for my last night. Just a slight change to my original itinerary. after mt fuji, I would like to travel to hokone for the hot spring and at night, travel to Osaka. Trying to use Hyperdia to look up pricing and time of arrival, the routes that it suggested are much longer than other sites suggested. Plus Japan has private company transportation that doesn't include in the JR pass and it's more convenience. In my case, would the convenience outdo the extra $$. this is our first time in Japan and with the language barrier, should I purchase one stop tickets vs the JR pass?

by phoebe820 rate this post as useful

JR pass vs regular pass 2009/7/29 23:57
sorry for the confusion before, I listed out all the cost, please advise which one is more approachable.

JR pass - 28,300 yen

Regular,
Narita to shinjuku by limo - 3000 yen
Shinjuku to Mt fuji, Kawaguchiko 5th station - 2600 yen
head down to Fujiyoshida -1500 yen
Fujiyoshida to Osaka - ????
Osaka to Shinjuku - 14,000 yen
Shinjuku to Narita limo - 3000 yen.

Aren't they kind of the same?
by phoebe820 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread