Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan semi-permanently? 2009/7/29 18:26
Hello Everyone.
I would REALLY love to move to Japan. I am taking a Japanese language course, and I'm learning to read and write it pretty fluently. I have my GED (Yeah, yeah I know. It sucks compared to a high school diploma.), and I plan to go to tech school for video game design. I was wondering what the chances of me getting a job were with this type of degree, how I would go about citizenship or a really extended visa (I would be willing to marry a foreign guy for this, I am THAT dedicated!), and possibly consider permanent residency.
I will be going there with at least 6-10 thousand USD on me.
I am hoping to move there by the time I am 24-25 years old.
I am now 17 years of age, and I realize this is going to be a long process, and I'm getting started on it now.
I've heard that they don't take well to foreigners there, and job opportunities are hard to come by because of the economy..
Also the housing, since most places in Japan I've read require a guarantor, which I don't have since I don't know anyone in Japan.
Please no rude answers, this is a very serious question, and all responses are appreciated.
by Alyssa (guest)  

... 2009/7/29 19:08
I would be willing to marry a foreign guy for this, I am THAT dedicated!

Sorry but that does not sound right - and I don't call that "dedicated" either. Please do not consider marrying someone just for the sake of being able to move to another country.

Please read other similar threads on this forum asking "how can I move to Japan?" and similar title.

To summarize the whole process: You need to get yourself a bachelor's degree (an Immigration requirement to be eligible for an employer-sponsored working visa unless you have 5 - 10 + years of work experience in the relevant field), maybe learn the Japanese language (depends on the work you do), equip yourself with skills and experiences that make you attrative as an employee, find an employer in Japan who is willing to hire you and sponsor you for a visa (which tends to be 1 year, 3 years, etc., so you start off with relatively short-term visa), stay with that company for 5, 10 years or so - only then you can consider even applying for a Permanent Resident status for Japan.

So that is going to be a long process even after you set your foot in Japan after completing education. Please have patience :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Response 2009/7/29 19:13
I don't plan on getting married or ever settling down with anyone in my future anyways, which is why I would go to that extreme.
I stated in my question that I would be willing to do whatever it takes, however long it takes, to move to Japan. :)
I'm already planning to get a degree and learn the language, so no worries there. As I said, I'm 17 and don't plan on moving there until I am within the age range of 24-25 years old.
by Alyssa (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/29 19:19
Thanks for your response, OK, so that's what you meant :).

BTW, my point (in the second half of my answer) was that you cannot simply pack up and move to Japan (semi-) permanently from the start - you start off with a shorter term visa status, which get renewed, then only after so many years you might get to that PR status. But if you plan ahead, yes, you'll get there.

When it comes to job prospects in the field of video game design, I suppose it would really depend on what the market demand is at the time you try to come to Japan to find work in that area; also, experiences that make you more attractive over Japanese graduates with similar background would help as well. Good luck with everything!
by AK rate this post as useful

.... 2009/7/29 20:16
Alyssa, If You want work in video game industry You should know that If You are good in this You will find job even If You don't have degree.
by nfs rate this post as useful

Work visa 2009/7/29 22:04
Nfs wrote:

If You are good in this You will find job even If You don't have degree.

Maybe, but she cannot get a work visa without a degree, so the advice to slog it out at university first still stands.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/30 05:19
Get a degree, save your money and check back in about 6-7 years. It is not possible to accurately predict what the job situation is going to be like that far into the future.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread