Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job application question 2009/7/30 05:27
I am applying to the art departments of a handful of game companies. In nearly all of their applications, they have a little box where you are supposed to put in personal ''merits'' or ''appeal'' into them (hence アピールする点).

My girlfriend, who is Japanese (and is currently in the US with me, helping me on this), tells me I am supposed to put in how I think I would benefit the company, but I was still unsure of what to do.

So I typed in personal merits such as ''I am versatile, adaptable, original, fast''...etc. because that is what one would put in a letter or resume here in the US.

But then, my girlfriend intervened and told me that I needed to put in something that I think the company is missing that I can do better on, which left me really $%@#'n confused, as we don't do this in America, and even discourage it (imagine saying, ''your product has problems, I know how to fix them'' in a cover letter or in an interview).

As she is a scientist type of person and not an art person, and also from the destination culture, I am conflicted about the accuracy of her assessment.

So really, I have two questions:

1. Is this sort of entry box normal for ALL kinds of job applications, not just for games?

2. Were my instincts correct about what goes in this ''アピールする点''/''自 己 PR'' box? Or do I really have to pick out a weakness their products have that I can help improve on?

My girlfriend says this is the hardest part of the application, so I can understand if this is going to be difficult to answer.

Thanks for your time, I REALLY TRULY APPRECIATE IT!!!
by Davaul  

... 2009/7/30 07:44
But then, my girlfriend intervened and told me that I needed to put in something that I think the company is missing that I can do better on, which left me really $%@#'n confused, as we don't do this in America

People do that in America, too!

Of course, you should not word it in a condescending or negative way, though. But rather word it in a positive way, like mentioning your skills that would be most valuable for the company. For example, English skills or knowledge of a foreign market...
by Uji rate this post as useful

cover letter 2009/7/30 09:19
But then, my girlfriend intervened and told me that I needed to put in something that I think the company is missing that I can do better on, which left me really $%@#'n confused, as we don't do this in America, and even discourage it (imagine saying, ''your product has problems, I know how to fix them'' in a cover letter or in an interview).

We do exactly this in American cover letters, its called a targeted cover letter and is one of the most effective types.

I just think you are looking at it from the wrong angle. You don't say "your product is flawed and you need me to fix it", instead you frame it more like "your company needs someone with the skills which I possess" or "the position you are hiring for requires these skills which I possess".

This also comes up in interviews, i.e. "if hired, what (skills) would you bring to the company?"
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks guys! 2009/7/31 04:22
I just love how I overthink a problem and the solution ends up being extremely obvious. Thanks for your help.

I mainly just need work on the basics then. I'll be sure to post here again if there is a problem.
by Davaul rate this post as useful

good luck 2009/7/31 09:43
Good luck with your job search! Be sure to post on your experience to help others that follow.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Additional questions 2009/8/1 15:11
I will do that!

Unfortunately, problems arose again...

My girlfriend looked at what I came up with again and says that I need to be more specific, like identifying exactly what can be done better in their products and telling them I can do it. General things like "Your company needs people with my kind of skills" are too vague and not valid according to her, but it goes against my instincts...

This was what I was talking about before, and its perplexing...can you help again?

Even better, do you live or work in Japan? Do you know someone who does?
by Davaul rate this post as useful

reply to this thread