Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita Customs Question 2009/7/31 01:28
A friend of mine who has his own small band asked me to bring over some blank CD's and cases for them to cut some demo CD's and make CD's as gifts for friends. As the price was dirt cheap in America over Japan and he's a good friend and will pay me back, I agreed. I'm leaving in a few days for Japan and will bring them with me.

I'm in the middle of packing up everything, but I'm now worried that this may look odd to customs. Right now I have all 400 CD cases boxed up in a medium sized box and the spindles of blank CD's in luggage. It's too big to fit everything into my baggage or I'd put it in there.

Should I be worried when I get to customs? I mean they're all plainly still shrinkwrapped and shrinkwrapped labels on the CD's mark them as blank recordables. Since they're not products samples or business products, I should be okay right? I figure if they do open the box I'll just tell the trust that it's much cheaper for my friend to have me buy them for him and bring them over to him.

Sorry if I'm sound hyper paranoid, but I would hate for them to either be confiscated for some reason or have the authorities think I'm up to something which I'm not.

Advice or thoughts, anyone?
by MusicMan (guest)  

don't worry 2009/7/31 09:33
Should I be worried when I get to customs? I mean they're all plainly still shrinkwrapped and shrinkwrapped labels on the CD's mark them as blank recordables. Since they're not products samples or business products, I should be okay right?

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I used to regularly bring spindles of blank dvd's and cases with no trouble at customs. You are allowed about $2000 of duty free allowance.

Here's images of the customs form that you will have to fill out when landing:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=japan%...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

no problem 2009/7/31 09:40
I don't think they will worry about it too much. As you say they are clearly new. It's a gift for a friend if guestioned. Possibly you might have to pay as small tax. But I doubt it. Read the customs form you must fill out while on the plane. Short answer...don't worry. enjoy your trip.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/8/1 02:03
Thanks for the replies.

I did take a look at the customs form earlier and it's under the 20,000en total and their each under 10,000en.

My only question is the part where it says "any items requested from someone else to bring into Japan" would that pertain to my situation since my friend living there asked for it. Or is that question refer to "did some stranger at the airport give you a creepy suitcase to bring into Japan". If it is the former, should I just play dumb or state yes?

This isn't my first time coming into the country and usually I just get waved through customs as I just have a small suitcase and backpack. But I know it's always a crapshoot.
by MusicMan (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/1 06:01
I would avoid answering that "goods for some else" as it creates all manner of futher questions. I think in your case, a little white lie that isn't too far from the truth "I bought (not brought) these for a friend" would be all that's required.

I'm guessing you will be asked about them anyway due to the unusual nature (QTY), but cannot foresee any problems - as long as you don't try to hide them, smile, and say they're for a friend.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread