Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much money should I bring to Japan? 2009/7/31 16:54
Hi everybody,

I will stay in Japan for 1 month. My hotel and meal expenses will be provided by an institute.

But using my own money, I want to go to some famous places and buy some interesting things in Japan. When I go to such places, I will also pay for my meal expenses.

So, how much money do you think I should bring to Japan for 1 month?
by Riidaa (guest)  

cash or?? 2009/8/1 02:14
count on at least 10 000 yen per day of sightseeing to be safe ..but you don't actually have to bring all the money as cash. Use ATM in the Post Office or any of the very numerous 7-11 convenience stores.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

atm charges 2009/8/1 02:34
Do Japanese ATM machines charge withdrawal fees, or will I be able to withdraw money free of charge?
by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: atm charges 2009/8/1 04:15
As to withdrawal using cards issued outside Japan at ATMs of Seven Bank:
See this page.
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/card2.html

As to withdrawal from a Japanese bank's account:
At ATMs in convenience stores, some Japanese banks offer withdrawal service without a fee under specified conditions (e.g. in the daytime, on weekdays).
Roughly speaking, fee is required when you withdraw money at an ATM not within the same bank group. (The bank operating the ATM will collect this fee.)
When you withdraw money in extended hours, for example late at night or on a Saturday, a fee may be required even for your withdrawal at the ATM of the same bank.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

sightseeing 2009/8/1 09:18
Where will you be staying, and where do you want to visit? For sightseeing daytrips you will be paying for transportation, lunch, maybe dinner, and shopping. If everything is in the Tokyo area for example, then (disregarding shopping which can vary wildly per person) I'd say between 5,000 and 10,000 yen per day would be sufficient.

How many days will you have for personal sightseeing? If you are staying at an institute do you only have the weekends free? If so then I'd bring at least 100,000 yen to cover my sightseeing expenses for the month.

Do Japanese ATM machines charge withdrawal fees, or will I be able to withdraw money free of charge?

All atms charge a withdrawal fee if you are not a member of the bank operating the atm. The only exception is if your bank has a program to waive/reimburse withdrawal fees charged by other banks atms.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/8/1 15:46
Thank you very much for your answers!

yllwsmrf, actually I may have only 10 days for sightseeing or walking around freely. (and I am not completely free those days either) I also think that at least 100.000 yen can be sufficient.
by Riidaa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread