Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Travel pass? 2009/7/31 18:38
I have 9 days to fill in Japan and thought of flying from Tokyo to Sapporo, then travel up to the top of Hokkaido and slowly work my way back to Narita via Hakodate and Nikko.

For my trip to Hokkaido, does the JR Hokkaido pass allow you to board most trains and buses? Is it value for money to buy the pass?

To travel down Northern Honshu, I was looking to get a JR East pass. Is this value for money for such a trip?

Any help would be wonderful.
by tammy (guest)  

Worth It 2009/8/1 03:53
It sounds like it would be worth it but the passes only come in 7, 14 and 21 days versions. I would spend 2 days in Sapporo and then start the pass. For prices you can check out
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.ht...
which will give you a good idea if it is actually a good deal to get the JR Rail Pass.
by ryokans rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/1 11:33
For my trip to Hokkaido, does the JR Hokkaido pass allow you to board most trains and buses?

Most trains are covered, as most trains on Hokkaido are JR trains. Most prominent exception are the subways in Sapporo, which are non-JR and not covered by the Hokkaido Rail Pass.

As for buses, most buses are not covered. The exception are local JR buses (as opposed to JR highway buses, most of which are not covered, as well).

Is it value for money to buy the pass?

Depends on the exact itinerary.

To travel down Northern Honshu, I was looking to get a JR East pass. Is this value for money for such a trip?

Again, it depends on the exact itinerary.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread