Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where do the locals eat? 2009/8/1 06:17
Can you recommend me a few places where the locals like to eat around Tokyo? i'm not interested in fancy restaurants where it costs $100 a person. I just want to try a few local favorites.any recommendations?
by Mrtravel (guest)  

? 2009/8/1 10:54
Locals, of course, eat everywhere. What part of Tokyo will you be staying at and what are your preferences? You might enjoy Shinbashi if you're a beer guy, and you might enjoy univsersity towns if you're a student.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Too many choices 2009/8/1 11:08
I said in another post recently that you can hardly turn around in Tokyo without finding somewhere to eat- and they are all places locals eat at. Honestly, there are too many restaurants and too many styles of food in Tokyo to name just a few, plus the city is too big to direct you to one particular place.

Just walk out of your hotel and step into the first place that appeals to you and seems to be full of Japanese people- check the prices first if you are staying near somewhere like Ginza.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Secret spots for eating with the locals 2009/8/2 02:05
You often read about the collection of casual yakitori bars under the tracks near Yurakucho station. They are great, but often there are too many other foreigners around for it to feel truly authentic. I suggest you get the Yamanote line west from Shinjuku and get off at Nakano or Nishi-Ogikubo (both under 15mins). Close to these stations you will find some great atmospheric streets and alleyways full of local bars and restaurants. Remember just smile and you will get looked after. If you ask for a table/seat and the owner says no, don't push it, just smile and leave - you probably wandered into something more like a semi-private drinking den - they tend to look like restaurants! Enjoy!
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

Eh? 2009/8/2 17:56
Most restaurants in Japan are for locals. Some provide convenience to tourists by offering English menus, but without local business, they would soon go bankrupt. So even if you go to McDonald's, Denny's, or Starbucks, you will find yourself surrounded by Japanese.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread