Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

digital camera 2009/8/2 01:02
Hello, I'm going to Japan in August and I would like to buy a digital camera. Is it much cheaper than in Europe?
by Judy (guest)  

Digital cameras 2009/8/2 10:11
Judy,

What camera are you interested in and what country are you from?
Also note that some makes (Sony for starters) sold in Japan don't have English language menus, and warranties in general won't be valid outside Japan.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/2 11:12
Agree with Dave - consider the warranty over the few yen you might save.

Also consider if they camera actually has English MENUS in it (majority would nowdays).

If you do end up with one, and only a Japanese instruction book, you will most likely find an English one on the net. I've had 2 Canons now that I've downloaded PDF manuals for.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/8/2 17:43
I'm interested in Olympus - this one in particular http://www.euro.com.pl/kompakty/olympus-mju-5000-niebie... - here in Poland it costs around 230 €/320 $ so i wonder if there is a big difference in the price. Thanks
by Judy (guest) rate this post as useful

Not much difference in price 2009/8/3 12:39
I bought a similar Olympus camera in Tokyo last year. I had a camera with me and just wanted a smaller one for taking more "point and shoot" type street pictures. There is really no difference in price. I remember paying about $350 US for it at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku. Like others said, you're probably better off buying it in your home country for warranty reasons.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Japan is cheaper! 2009/8/3 13:47
Judy, actually you`ll find this camera cheaper in Japan. Here goes the link where you can purchase even a better one (6000 version) online with delivery inside Japan for only 19,530 yen ($ 195): http://kakaku.com/item/K0000014769/

by Mila (guest) rate this post as useful

Kakaku.com and the real world 2009/8/3 20:24
Mila wrote:

...you can purchase even a better one (6000 version) online with delivery inside Japan for only 19,530 yen

Yeah, but how practical do you think that is for a tourist with minimal Japanese ability?
The Bic Camera price of over 26,000 yen would be a more realistic price for someone visiting actual shops in Tokyo to aim for.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Olympus 2009/8/4 12:40
Olympus is the ONLY brand of camera that provides a world wide warranty, no matter where you buy it.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread