Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto style of Living (Popular or Not?) 2009/8/3 07:44
Well, Currently I'm studying Geiko and Maiko. I'm also studying the way many Japanese people live in Kyoto.

I've been meaning to Travel and live in Kyoto for quite sometime.

It's rather a dream of mine. I don't fancy the bright lights and the crowdedness of Toyko. (Though Tokyo did interest me for quite some time also.)

I was wondering if I could work as a Waitress for a teahouse or restaurant, I dont want to make others believe this is to be close or become a american geiko of some sort.

I just enjoy the lovely and quiet lifestyle of kyoto.

Can someone preferably tell me about their daily life if they live in Kyoto...

Also, Can anyone tell me if living in Kyoto is popular ??
by Black Maiko  

modern Kyoto 2009/8/3 08:38
I wonder if you might be disappointed by the reality of Kyoto. While it is smaller than Tokyo, it is still a city of over a million people with plenty of concrete, neon, traffic, pachinko parlours etc. I first stayed in Kyoto with a homestay family, and while they were taking me around the famous temples and gardens, they were saying that people who live in Kyoto don't often visit these places, even though they are right on their doorstep.

What are you imagining the lifestyle in Kyoto to be like? For my host sisters, they get up in the morning, commute to Osaka, work 9am to 6pm, commute home (standing all the way), have dinner and watch TV with their families, go to bed- same as most other urban dwellers in Japan.

it would be very different to find waitressing work unless you are very fluent in Japanese. As an American you are not eligible for a working holiday visa, so there is also no visa that will allow you to do waitressing work- you would need to come as a full-time student and then apply for permission to work part time.

I am not trying to discourage you from attaining your dream, just saying that you need to research a bit more into the practical side of life in a Japanese city- particularly visas and what kind of jobs are available to non-Japanese, and beware of building up an image of Kyoto based on geisha and teahouses- you won't see much evidence of that in 21st century Kyoto.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you. 2009/8/3 08:45
Arigato, I do need to catch up on my kyoto studies. Thank you again for your answer.
by Black Maiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread